Featured Help with older Japanese pottery bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

This is a very heavy large pottery bowl (9-1/2" diameter), not see-through like porcelain. Has more age than most of the Japanese stuff I see, very heavy but not thick, handworking and handpainted and slight imperfections in the pottery. I searched gotheborg without any matches to the mark. Can anyone help with age or maker? @blooey @Asian Fever @Couch Potato Wannabe ?
    P3142301.JPG P3142302.JPG P3142305.JPG P3142306.JPG P3142308.JPG P3142309.JPG P3142312.JPG P3142310.JPG P3142311.JPG

Lva483, patd8643, Crim000 and 4 others like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Definitely a Kutani mark(probably with maker's name added)...I'd be guessing at age but...late 19th...early 20th? Beautiful bowl!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Agreed. Look in this Kutani marks section of Gotheborg - specifically at the Kutani "Nine Valleys" subsection. http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/kutani.shtml

I see some examples that may be a match - both characters and decor.

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Agree with above, also wanted to add, lovely bowl!

Lva483, Jeff Drum, judy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

谷九 谷口造

Jeff Drum and judy like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Thank you, all. Embarrassed to say I looked at gotheborg before posting, but forgot that the first page doesn't have all the marks, and you need to look at every page to see them all. I should have been clued off when my search was so quick - I remember in the past dreading the comment "look through gotheborg to see if you can find your mark" because it took so long.

7. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

For any translation on marks try asian art forums good place to translate your asian writing

Lva483 and Jeff Drum like this.
  8. Couch Potato Wannabe

Japanese Kanji translates as follows:
    谷九 谷口造 Tanikaku Taniguchi

Lva483, Jeff Drum, dgbjwc and 2 others like this.
  9. Jeff Drum

Thank you, that is exactly the translation I needed. Kutani Taniguchi shows the information needed: https://www.kutani.org/spip.php?newsletter8
    "Taniguchi Kinyodo Shoten (谷口金陽堂商店) (1875 – 1954). TaniguchKichijiro had painters and kilns in Kutani. He opened branch office in Kobe in 1896. He succeeded to export directly to Europe and US by sending representative overseas. We can find many pieces signed Taniguchi exported some with a very high quality."

Lva483 and aaroncab like this.
  10. Couch Potato Wannabe

Yes, sorry about that. When I had posted the Kanji before, I did have the English translation with it, but accidentally wiped it all out somehow when posting. Which wasn't very helpful on its own. Glad you found the information you were seeking.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  11. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

What a beaut!!!

Jeff Drum likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted