Help with ornate brass candlestick with no markings

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Claire Reid, May 27, 2019.

1. Claire Reid

Claire Reid New Member

Is anyone able to assist with identifying this brass object which I assume is a candlestick. It has no obvious markings that I can see and after days trawling through photographs I can't find anything similar. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks Brass object (1).jpg Brass object (2).jpg

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

LOL! No, I don't think there are too many of those running about! What are its measurements?

Aquitaine and Jeff Drum like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like it is missing a lid. It is very nice and I would give it house room in a nano second. I would stuff it with velvet and use it for a 'Keepsafe" box.
    greg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Agree, need measurements. Could be an inkwell if not the size for a candle.

5. Claire Reid

Claire Reid New Member

Hi thanks for the help, the diameter is around 5 inch and the diameter of the central hole is 2 inches. The height is about 3 inches

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Claire Reid

Claire Reid New Member

Further photo of top Brass object (3).jpg

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I too wonder if it might be more of an inkwell than a candle stick.....because of the flare to the hole the candle goes in.....wouldn't it 'wobble'???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Claire Reid

Claire Reid New Member

The photo does make the sides of the hole look flared but they actually go straight down not flared but you are probably right about it not being a candlestick. The depth of the hole is 1 1/4 (3cm) deep.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another vote for inkwell, missing a glass or porcelain insert. So technically an inkwell holder.
    It is a lovely piece, and you can use it for whatever you like now. I wouldn't use it for candles though, but that is just me.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

As cool as this inkwell brass is, I don't think it's antique.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Does anyone think it was once attached to an ink stand with other writing 'stuff'? I'm no expert on inkwells, but the holes in the feet seem to suggest it.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"Does anyone think it was once attached to an ink stand with other writing 'stuff'? I'm no expert on inkwells, but the holes in the feet seem to suggest it"

Yes

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Claire Reid

Claire Reid New Member

Thank you your advise is very helpful I will start looking at ink stands

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted