Help with painting signature ID

Discussion in 'Art' started by Amateur Newbie, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Amateur Newbie

Amateur Newbie New Member

Hello,
    First time poster, I was hoping someone might be able to help me. I bought a tiny little oil painting from an antiques shop in France because I loved the way it looked but I don't know anything about it. Probably there's nothing to know, but I thought maybe if I could make out the artist's signature I could maybe learn more. Does anyone have any thoughts? PXL_20201128_070720447.jpg Thanks!

judy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3A67A3ED-5625-4759-9C6E-048CD9813804.jpeg Welcome Amateur Newbie,

Would you please photograph the back, any framing labels, and tell us the size, and maybe a better photo of the signature would help.

judy likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As above. And please also share with us what you were told about it when you bought it.

Debora

4. Amateur Newbie

Thank you Debora and i.need help. I really don't know anything about it, though the label in the store said it was from the 1920s. The back kinda looks like it's plastered with paper over it, so I didn't try to mess with it. There are no markings on the back. Screenshot_20201118-205340.png IMG_20201201_210741.jpg It's very small, about 2.5in x 7in.

i need help likes this.
  5. i need help

It looks as if there’s more of the signature under the frame. I can’t make out much from the part showing. Maybe someone else can.

6. Amateur Newbie

Would I mess it up if I took it out of the frame to see what's under?

7. i need help

Wait See what others advise.

Amateur Newbie likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks like it's ready to fall out , all on it's own !!
    do it....just be carefull.....

9. David78

David78 Active Member

Just a guess but I see Linus

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There is words stamped in capital letters along the bottom on back. What does it say?

Debora

Amateur Newbie and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

12. Amateur Newbie

Oh my goodness you guys have eagle vision. I totally missed that! Looking very closely I think it says "hand painted M. " Then the rest is missing... That's interesting since it was in France. Maybe something mass made for tourists?

i need help and komokwa like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think "Hand Painted" indicates it's a commercial rather than artistic painting.

Debora

Amateur Newbie and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted