Featured Help with painting- what is the magic here?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Torkel Oftedal, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Torkel Oftedal

Torkel Oftedal Well-Known Member

Hi all, i hope for your help once again. Of all the things my dad left me, this is one that i really wished that i would remember to ask him about before passing. For me it seem to be a pastel, not signed, clearly old, and with a motif from what seem to be the harbour of Messina. My dad had an excellent eye, he was educated at The Chicago Arts Institute, and he had a huge talent himself, but ended up in the advertising world (the Mad Men era) but for one reason i do not know, he always took great care of this work as something very special, and now i must admit i know nothing about it. The quesion is, is this only someting of sentimental value for him, or is there anything that anyone out there can say about the motif, the style and the age? It would be highly appreciated! 20181009_115456 (2)-1.jpg 20181009_115456.jpg 20181009_115504 (2)-1.jpg 20181009_115504-1.jpg 20181009_115531 (2).jpg 20181009_115512 (2)-1.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Did he ever spend time there? An odd mix. A lot of it I would characterize as primitive, while the sky & the light on the mountains have more subtlety. Anything on the back? The painting people will want to see it regardless.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  3. Torkel Oftedal

I will have to find it to take a photo of the back, did not think of that, sorry! And i agree with you, it is an odd mix, it even has a damage (the brown stain) but he still kept it like something very special.. If he was there i do not know!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Looks like lava flowing down from the steaming volcano Mount Etna.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Seems the buildings do look rather like that:

[​IMG]

6. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I think it's beautiful. Looks like the artist was inspired in Henri Rousseau.

Fid and kyratango like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

May be a pastel.

Debora

8. April07

the waves look like brushstrokes to me

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Might be a gouache then. Quite an interesting viewpoint. Could possibly be early 1800s. A photograph of the back would be helpful. Did your father have it reframed? Frame doesn't appear to be same period as painting. Here's a list of Mt. Etna activity (which is not terribly helpful as it's fairly on-going.)

http://www.ct.ingv.it/en/11-notizie/news/561-etna-eruptions-pre1900.html

Debora

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  10. Torkel Oftedal

I think you are right, that it is a gouache, more likely that than pastel. And i will take a photo of the back of it tomorrow and post it. And yes, it must be reframed, not original, but even that is a bit puzzling, as the frame is nicely done (to be done here) - and thus he must have spent some money on it. While a lot of the other works after him, barely hangs together with old and terrible framing! :)

kyratango likes this.
  11. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

You need to keep a pastel/gouache behind glass or it will be ruined quickly. Unlike an oil/acrylic painting which is better left open without glass. So if the old frame broke he may have bit the bullet to reframe before too much damage done. Looks like tourist work to me from mid-20th century (though I could certainly be wrong), so I think his picking it up on a visit there makes sense.

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm leaning heavily towards gouache as well, but also find it interesting that the "matte" around the painting is hand painted on. Too bad the paper is also torn in several places, mostly along the edges, but I'm assuming that can be repaired (??). That's about all I can see about it........in mentioning brush strokes with the waves...I see no reason an artist couldn't mix textures in his painting.......

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That long facade was called the Palazzata, completed in the late 17thC and destroyed by an earthquake in 1783. At that time, the event was seen as analogous to the destruction of Pompeii.

If you search Palazzata, you will find other images from the same perspective. This could even be a copy of one of those other images, and it could be late 18th or early 19thC. With that ominous volcano in the background, I doubt it predates the earthquake.

It does look untrained to me, and might be a grand tour souvenir.

As to why your father liked it so much: maybe he just liked it. Maybe he liked the naivete and the sense of pattern. It could have been a gift from someone special. He might have been fascinated by the event. You'll probably never know.

Fid, Bakersgma, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The discrepancies between Torkel's painting and other images of the same subject may suggest that this naive painting was based more on an oral accounting, or remembrance, than on visual references.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    kyratango likes this.
  16. Torkel Oftedal

You are right, i will never know, but it meant something, and i doubt very much taht it was a souvenir thing, as he travelled the world for all his life, and i never saw an attraction towards the souvenig market.. Who knows, maybe some other adventures took place there that made him sentimental!? ;) ;)

Jivvy and i need help like this.
  17. April07

Do let us know if you find something on the back of the painting!

i need help likes this.
  18. Torkel Oftedal

Sorry, not much to see on the back- here is a photo, plus two more on the work itself. I may have to put this at rest, as there are so many uncertainties here- but i am very grateful for all your help here, as always! :) 2019-03-29 15.05.01-1.jpg 2019-03-29 15.05.44-1.jpg 2019-03-29 15.05.50-1.jpg

judy likes this.
  19. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

It looks like a label on the back, are you able to read it?

judy and i need help like this.
  20. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

There's also something handwritten just below the center of the chain.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted