Featured Help with Porcelain Pitcher

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Jun 23, 2018.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I posted this years ago and didn't get an ID, so I thought I'd try again. It's porcelain with gilt enamel decoration. 9 1/2" tall. Twisted branch or rope handle.

Is there a name for the sort of yellow glaze? It's very thin and worn in the area around the handle.

I'm not sure about the red mark orientation. At first I thought it was an M, but maybe not--could be mountain peaks? There's some sort of symbol beneath.

Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The M/mountains looks like Mt. Vesuvius.

Vesuvius photo.jpg

judy and ascot like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cluttered! I'd looked at the Gotheborg site and completely missed it. Do you think this would be considered Nippon?

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Just spent some time on Gotheborg and didn't see it either.

I do think it was a Japanese export made to look like English pottery
    I think the time period is right for Nippon. Could even be a little earlier.
    Basically Nippon is 1891 - 1921 for the McKinley tariff act. Nippon is what the Japanese call Japan.

I think the "M" shape is supposed to be Mt Fuji.
    I don't know what the other mark says - I don't think it is the symbol for Nippon.

judy and ascot like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted