Help with porcelain vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wildrose, Aug 28, 2020.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

I sold this vase on Ebay, the buyer returned it saying has been repaired. I have looked it over and over and cannot find a repair. I asked the buyer how do I find what he saw? He told me a good UV light so I got one but I still cannot find anything that seems unusual. Can someone tell me what exactly I might see with a UV light on a piece of repaired porcelain. Supposedly somewhere around the rim. Thank you for any help.
    horsevase.jpg

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

In a dark room, you should be able to see a difference in colour under the blacklight. The repair should stand out, but if it is very tiny you may have to look very closely!
    If you cannot see anything, the buyer is probably not being honest about the return.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Did you find the "crack"?

They may have thought it was an older piece and when they received it found it was newer.
    I'm having a brain freeze and cannot remember what this porcelain is called @blooey. The older is very thin and lightweight. The newer is thick and light doesn't shine through.

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@clutteredcloset49 This looks like standard Chinese porcelain, were you thinking about eggshell? Anyway, light should be seen through porcelain like this but not as much as through the eggshell stuff which is literally as thin as an eggshell!

You may be right about the buyer, this type of decoration around the neck started in the republic period but is still made today although I believe the modern pieces use a transfer? The vase looks like a nice one and the horse design is not run of the mill or common either so I'm guessing earlyish.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  5. clutteredcloset49

Hmmm.
    Maybe that's what I'm thinking about. This porcelain is literally very very thin. The newer porcelains are thicker.
    Thank you.

wildrose, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Usually the neck decorations I've seen on eggshell pieces tend to be blue rather than black, not always, but mostly.

7. clutteredcloset49

I had a pair of very thin egg shell. They had black neck decoration.
    Man from China bought them for a very nice price.

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Many repairs will start to yellow over time so in normal light there can be a slight yellowing in the area of a repair/restoration. It can be slight and can blend smoothly with the original surface.

Under black light the area of repair/restoration can have a slight glow. It can be subtle and almost look like a reflected light.

9. wildrose

Thank you, when I'm fully awake I'll take a look again. This vase is not heavy porcelain like most Chinese items we find, it's fine and thin, not eggshell but quite thin.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I don't know how powerful your blacklight is, but best results will be in total darkness. Repaired/repainted areas will look darker and dull compared to the surrounding porcelain, or in some cases, depending on adhesive compounds used, you may see fluorescence.

p.s. I might have mentioned my blacklight before, it's a VERY powerful unit with 21 LED's - (eBay).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    wildrose and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  11. wildrose

Draft saved Draft deleted