Featured Help with possible 1800 inlaid side chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Antiquefan, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

Hi. Helping a friend who is selling a few chairs from his Mom who passed. I thought this might look like a 1800's Federal inlaid side chair? 1800 or later repro? Thank you for any assistance! ch1.jpg ch2.jpg ch3.jpg ch4.jpg ch1.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

Thanks. The inlay on the legs and throughout are really beautiful. She also had a close matching style half round gaming table that opens up with the swinging legs. She had a great eye and was a very nice woman. I found this old Sotheby's auction (see below) that looked similar of a chair made in Baltimore from 1790. She lived in Bethesda, MD close by so perhaps a same maker chair? I just cannot tell if it is that old or a very nice later creation.

Federal Inlaid Mahogany Shield-Back Side Chair, Baltimore, Maryland, circa 1790 | Important Americana: Furniture and Folk Art | 2021 | Sotheby's (sothebys.com)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

6. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Screwed-on corner blocks at the back make it look later.

7. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

Corner blocks added later for stability or later build date?

The bottom material looks to be an old design. What year are you thinking?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look contemporary with the chair.

judy, Jeff Drum and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

To me this looks Edwardian, ca. 1910-20. Elegant, with some late Art Nouveau attenuation in the back. Inlay is very nice. Since Antiquefan likes the chair, I would recommend that sh/he keeps it, since such quality is not to be found these days. Unfortunately, I would not give the chair much monetary value, since most chairs are overvalued anyway. At auction in my part of the U.S. I'd say maybe $100 depending on the customer and the day.

10. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

Thanks, I cannot fit the table at home and remain happily married! The pair of chairs are really nice to my eye. I would have to have them recovered so probably to much money involved after purchase. The price will truly hurt my friends feelings, his mother thought she had found gold many years ago. I wonder how the backs were made, they look like solid wood and inlayed. He thought his Mom bought them in France? Thank you for your input!

11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, or later, Adam-style side chair, not period I don't think (late 18th C.)
    Agrees with others, not much demand these days for formal dining room furniture so the value is low.

judy, Ghopper1924, NewEngland and 2 others like this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Years ago Antiquefan they were gold. Maybe in the future they will be again. Such lovely things,Id love to see the table.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  13. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

I will try to get photos of the gaming table? It has a hidden drawer when up against the wall for your cards or chess pieces. I wish it fit in my home. Thank you for the information about time period.

14. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

Who would the possible manufacturer be from 1910-1920? Small artisan firms, big companies? If he lists it for sale locally (probably will) he wants to be accurate and not misleading in any way for the potential buyers. Thanks

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  15. James Conrad

Exactly, that will be an issue for any potential buyer.
    Yes, a period chair that sold for $1300. so that tells one that even if period, not terribly valuable.
    Is your chair period? we are all just guessing with photos which is the best one can do with pics but to me, it doesn't look period in photos.
    Is that central medallion hand-carved? I enlarged and it appears machine carved but, photos are notorious for missing details easily seen in person.
    chairR.jpg

Without being labeled or marked, nearly impossible to ID manufacturer, these neoclassical styles were VERY popular in period and remain so today.
    Literally millions of them around, indeed, this style is still being made today.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. James Conrad

The blocking underneath your chair attached with wood screws, the limited number of tack holes as well all point to a reproduction.
    Here is a photo of Sotheby's chair bottom, quite a difference from yours.
    454n10604-bp35n-05.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  17. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I disagree, looks hand carved to me. But I certainly agree that this is a reproduction and not an original - not just glueblocks but other details say clearly not period. They didn't have carving machines to do work like this in early 20th century, and handcarving of a few details would not take that long or be too expensive. But definitely better than most of the dining chairs being churned out from US factories, with no handcarving at all.

Too many possible manufacturers to come up with a list, many unknown now. A pair of chairs is always much better and much easier to sell than a single dining side chair. So stress that in the listing and pics, and be willing to dicker.

Will be interested in your game table, I have seen a lot of 19th century ones kicking around here in New England. Also definitely underappreciated in today's market, I'm afraid, even if period, but there are exceptions that go for big money.

Antiquefan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted