Help with Pottery Vase - Interesting Marks!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LoveTheHunt!, Aug 25, 2018.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

I just bought this from a local "picker" who is closing one of his warehouses. Lots of interesting things there...
    I was attracted to both the decoration and the marks on the bottom. They seem somehow familiar, and yet I can't identify anything about it.
    It is a cylindrical shaped vase (? or ?) standing a bit over 9" tall and around 5-3/4" diameter at the top.
    Thanx in advance for the good info that I know is coming!
    Ceramic-Cylinder-A.jpg Ceramic-Cylinder-btm.jpg

2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Can't find the mark but I'm sure I have seen it somewhere before.
    Only one cup of coffee so far so I might have missed it.

judy, i need help and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  3. LoveTheHunt!

Have another cup and get back to me! :woot:

judy and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very pretty, it reminds me of patchwork quilting. But, sorry I can’t help.

LoveTheHunt! likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sign is a Tugra of the Ottoman Sultan. so possibly Turkish

6. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Curious. It has four "Tughs" instead of the usual three. Not sure what that means in the scheme of things. Couldn't find anything on the "LP" mark which may be the painter.
    Cheers
    Stephen

judy and UncleChuckTX like this.
  7. LoveTheHunt!

I noticed the same thing when I researched the info provided by Fid... It seems I have a knack for finding the most "mysterious" items. On that note, I have still more to come... :confused:

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

there seem to be Russian ones with five as well.
    but all in all it does not have a meaning of power anymore - e.g. forbidden since Turkey tries to become a western state (1920s).
    furthermore it's used as a caligraphic element because Islam is forbidding to show creatures. even flowers are forbidden in stricter varieties.
    aj might recognize the pattern.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted