Help With Pressed Music Records Mid 1900s

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mario, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

What would these records be called? They play on record player but the sound sort of wallows, like too slow, the music is conjunto music at its infancy. My question is, what type of records are they? Bought a box containing 51 discs all new and unplayed. recorda.jpg recordb.jpg recordc.jpg recordd.jpg

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

What speed did you try to play them at? They may be 78rpm

Christmasjoy, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

You are right, they are 78 rpm, found it after I posted. So I guess it only has one side recorded, now what to do with them, wonder how much they can sell for. Thanks. Oh, they are of Tejano or Tex/Mex music in it's infancy, there's a museum here that is dedicated to that, I live in Freddy Fender's hometown, San Benito, Texas.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Experience tells me maybe a few dollars apiece. Demand is not exactly high these days.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, those are pretty early. Here they are. And here they are performing in 1948. Suspect the museum would be delighted to have add them to collection.

Debora

FORUM Dos Manueles.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  7. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Cool, they have history. Yes, they probably would be interested, thanks.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Jivvy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Dear Mario,
    Here is my first iPod, a traveling portable 78 gramophone that I completely restored in my early 20's over 40 years ago. I had the hand-cranked main spring repaired, cleaned it thoroughly removing rust etc and recovered it. The handle in front is to crank the spring and there is a small latch at the top left that stops/holds the turntable. The left dial is slow/faster to adjust the 78rpm speed. The dish to the right is for the steel and chrome needles that rest on the record and create the vibration along the arm into a built-in speaker within the box.

Probably made in 1920-30's, I seem to remember it being an HMV (His Master's Voice) product.

The records are a heavy black bakelite and the ones I have are recorded on both sides. Perhaps yours are original demo or studio recordings. The gramophone still works perfectly and plays all my records. The one on the turntable is Because by Mario Lanza. I have about 20 other records, the top one on the pile is Santa Clause is Comin' to Town by Bing Crosby and produced by the Decca label.

IMG_7484.jpg IMG_7486.jpg IMG_7483.jpg IMG_7487.jpg IMG_7488.jpg

10. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

That is cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted