Help with probable coin silver spoon maker “A. Shire”

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Apr 24, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

These came in a spoon rack as part of a country/farm house decor lot. I assume no one noticed they looked like coin silver, which I assume they are. However I can’t find the maker “A. Shire”. Since I can’t find the maker and since they have a very rainbow like tone, which I most often see on silverplate, a shred of doubt has entered my mind as to their makeup. Still guessing probably coin silver though. One of the eBay compiling sites (Vatican I think) had a reference to one but I could not find the actual link once going to the site. The blurb said 1892 which sounds a little late for coin silver instead of sterling but I’m sure some was still being made. Checked my copy of Flynt & Fales and the big silver mark site to no avail. Anyone know this one? 70498CA9-24B8-4DB2-AFF6-534351899EE3.jpeg 9F5377FF-99BA-4529-A4C0-1D8832D7E2BB.jpeg

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. J Dagger

Ah you’re the best. Clearly I didn’t exhaust my resources and just lazily settled for a Google search after looking in a couple of the usual suspects. I imagine this is probably him. Thanks

4. J Dagger

06F1EB05-7489-4829-91AA-2ACA99354933.jpeg
    I wonder if there was any difference in his mark once he made the move to KY? Once you get into the world of southern coin silver you get a pretty good jump in value typically. Well evidenced by the insane price paid for a pair of these in 2005. I guess that was before the big recession and prices were probably different back then? I’m too new at this relatively speaking to know but so I’ve heard.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I only saw the basic A. Shire punch, Dagger, no differences. I have no data regarding price variations surrounding the "great recession."

J Dagger likes this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The price might have also been due to the engraved names if they happen to have been local to the area & were someone well known.

J Dagger likes this.
  7. J Dagger

That’s a good point. Usually they are inconsequential but not always. I paid a bit extra for a good historic families crest once.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted