Help with signature of Scarlett Letter

Discussion in 'Books' started by Justin Williamson, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Hello, I am trying to Identify who F.P. Kellogg is. It is dated 1923. Thanks! Scarlett Letter 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

F.P. Kellogg

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. Hi, I see it says F.P. Kellogg, I am just trying to find out more information

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

From Ronald Hood, Florence Alabama? No idea.

5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Justin !!! ... Joy. :)

Justin Williamson likes this.
  6. Thank you!

7. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The local research librarian should be able to look in the 1923 telephone book and tell you who F.P. Kellogg is. Ronald C. Hood, by way, was from a prominent local family and was brother to Rear Admiral Hood.

Debora

Fid, Figtree3, blooey and 1 other person like this.
  9. Thank you !

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

There is a possibility that the names F. P. Kellogg and Ronald C. Hood were not connected. These look like two different handwritings and could have been added at any time between 1923 and now.
    This is just a possibility to consider.

Meanwhile, how long have you had the book? What do you know about its provenance?

11. Hello, thank you for the information. I bought it at an estate sale in Alabama while visiting my mother in law. I should have asked while I was there but to be honest I didn't even open it until I left. It was on a shelf with a few others, The Three Musketteers and Tanglewood. The other two didn't have writing. They were $1 each so I just bought them. This is the same estate sale I bought the Napier Flask at. Sheffield was the name of the town the estate sale was in I believe. I am not from Alabama and do not know much about the history. I can say that the antique stores I visited while there were amazing though!! I would have bought more treasures but could only fit small things in my luggage! I told my girlfriend that next time we may have to drive to see her mom! Maybe a Uhaul on the way back!!LOL

Christmasjoy, Sandra and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

So you found it in Alabama, not far from Florence where Mr. Hood lived. That does seem to show that the book probably never went far from there.

Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not sure it matters who F. P. Kellogg was, if not of national celebrity. His signature doesn't add to value of book which, not being a first edition, is that of a reading copy.

Debora

Christmasjoy, Fid and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

15. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Did you try the 1920 Census data for that town?

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted