Help with signature & thoughts on old painting - thrift store asking $600!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 6, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me who the artist of this painting on board is? The manager told me the donor told him not to sell for less than $750 - he offered it to me for !600.
    Is it worth it?
    Thank you!

20211206_082358~2_resized.jpg 20211206_082401~2_resized.jpg 20211206_082410~2_resized.jpg 20211206_082416~2_resized.jpg

Roaring20s likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like Knome or Kuome?

Houseful likes this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I'd ask the manager to get information from the donor about the artist/painting that would substantiate that price.

5. Houseful

BoudiccaJones, Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The two that are signed similarly both look like factory paintings with the (so called) "known signature". Neither have an antique frame, but rather framed with antique looking frames... I think it's a factory painting. Just my own opinion...

7. Houseful

Looking at the back of Journeys it looks like there’s no other holes in the inner frame, just the modern staples holding the painting in place. I think they are all by this Kuome artist and are decorative artworks in an antique style but that’s just my opinion so wait for others.

antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I actually am thinking factory also. I have a few rather nice ones myself and know from whence they came:)

antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Houseful

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It has the look of a modern Chinese effort. I think it's very nice, it's pretty, but it's very likely not the antique it purports to be. What is it painted on? I wouldn't pay that without knowing, and for $600 you ought to be able to pull those staples to get a good look. I'll bet it's luan plywood and if so, that means new.

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

Painted on board but I'm passing on it - thank you all!

samuelcaulfield1 and Figtree3 like this.
  12. journeymagazine

PS - I did buy another abstract that I'll need help with signature (even if by a unknown it was worth the $25 I paid!) + I got a signed Peter Max earth summit poster (from Rio Dr Janeiro), a cool 50s? Bus /trolly fare box and a - I knows odds are long - Leroy Neiman painting - so it was still a good thrift store day!

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I agree. Commercially-made.

Debora

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Whatever the verdict is on the signature, in looking at a comparison on three of them, they all look a bit different....i.e., not of the same hand???

SIGNAT COMPARIS.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  15. Houseful

I think they are the same person, mine changes a bit depending on my mood.

lloyd249, Pat Dennis and Roaring20s like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I agree, we all sign a bit differently at times....my gut feeling is this just has a 'copied' feel to it.....I know I can be wrong too! 3rd sample....signer turned the 'm' into 'm' with an extra curve too-or something!

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Another work signed "Kuome."

Debora

qlb7ylenets41.jpg

18. Houseful

The antique painting and bygone times subject matter came into it too. The white sig on all also:) Think Journey made the right decision at that price.

Aquitaine likes this.
  19. Houseful

Yep, that’s the one on Reddit. He/she has been pretty busy.

20. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I suspect this to be most valuable. If you can sell the trolly box to a movie production company, that would be great!

Draft saved Draft deleted