Help with Signatures on Neon Sneakers Print & a New Painting + Thoughts on 1979 Juan Romero Limited

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 18, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these yesterday at a local thrift store. I can't make out the signatures on the sneakers litho or the painting (it almost blends into painting!) - can anyone help me with these please?

I also bought a LARGE Juan Romero limited edition print from 1979; it came in with the Buchi Upjohn Richard Lindner & other pieces I got earlier but I didn't buy it then because it wouldn't fit in my suv with the other pieces I bought, but the manager hadn't brought it out from the back room yet yesterday so when I saw it still there I went ahead & bought it.
    Any thoughts on it - and/or the artist Juan Romero?

Thank you for any help!

ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY SNEAKERS 1AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY SNEAKERS 3AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY SNEAKERS 4AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY PAINTING 1AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY PAINTING 2AAA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY PAINTING 3AA.JPG

JUAN ROMERO PRINT BELOW - 47.5" H x 47" W (!)

ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY JUAN ROMERO 1AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY JUAN ROMERO 2AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY JUAN ROMERO 3AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY JUAN ROMERO 4AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

Does anyone gave any idea of artist of first or second piece?
    Thanks

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

4. journeymagazine

Yes it's the sneakers and oil painting that I can't make out the artists names.

5. Houseful

You asked about any thoughts on the Romero in your post and the JR stamp that’s on the one I found may be significant given it’s a limited edition and that’s why I asked if yours had that.
    7AD0A3D7-F1A7-43D2-B9C6-C77A4D1F549C.jpeg

6. David Broom

David Broom Active Member

In my view the oil painting is décor/import art from China, with an unreadable, fictitious signature. The sneakers print imv is formulaic ‘70s décor art – maybe you’ll be able to find that signature but I doubt it. The Juan Romero print is much nicer and must be worth a few $ if it’s a genuine serigraph though the absence of the stamp pointed out by 'Houseful' is a worry. I'd check that signature with a loupe to see if it's printed. I don’t know where your final photo fits in.

Houseful likes this.
  7. Houseful

The Parisian one might be one of the ‘Burnetts’ of which there are many! Journeys one looks a bit more garish than usual though and may well be a Chinese copy as David Broom says.
    69FFC899-839E-499D-A0CA-FC06A0AF1CBC.jpeg C01B0016-7436-45D7-886A-3F97D838A99D.jpeg

8. journeymagazine

There is no JR stamp houseful?
    The last photo was of the Koranyi - I don't know why/how I thought it was the Romero bottom - I apologizit has the numbers 81/300 on the opposite corner
    I'd be surprised if it's a copy being that it came from same house as the Buchi Upjohn, Richard Lindner, Koranyi Gabor & the 2 Julio Garcia pieces. But could it be ?
    20211119_063445~2.jpg

9. journeymagazine

PS - the signature looks like it is pencil signed not signed in plate

10. Houseful

The one I found above is one of a limited edition of 50. You need to check the size of that against yours as maybe he did another limited edition of a different size. You say yours is LARGE but haven’t been specific.
    It’s always helpful to show the backs of artworks.

11. journeymagazine

I will as soon as I get home from doc visit
    Thank you

12. journeymagazine

It measures 34" x 34" including the margins where signed/numbered.
    The one you found is 37" x 37" - do you think there is 1.5" under the matting? I will try to contact his website if he has one - thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted