Featured Help with silverplate teapot mark - French? Dutch?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by KylieS, May 19, 2023.

1. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Hello ! I have a modest little teapot I acquired yesterday in France, thought it had a good mark to research but I've spent hours trying to decipher with no luck.

I think it could either be:
    - a partial mark in French so thought I would ask the experts if anyone knows what it might begin with? Seems to be "**oubranche" if this is the case.
    OR
    - a general mark for silver plate that I don't recognise. It could be "BLANC" in the middle then "NE" so silver plate from the Netherlands? But I can't find a mark to correspond with it if this is so.
    OR something else ; )

I also don't know what the presence of two E stamps signifies (I believe one would be for Electroplated but why is it there twice?) and also have no idea of date, though I thought early-mid 20th c.

Any info on this piece, or even advice on where to look very welcome! Thanks for looking : )

20230519_101312.jpg 20230519_094355.jpg 16844837499907044887754370422894.jpg 16844837825036534828644712724566.jpg 1684483827482551360512875557631.jpg

Figtree3, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

is the 18 for how much silver was used in the plating..?

Figtree3, KylieS and kyratango like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That would normally be the case, although it seems like an odd number to see. The 2 letters (?) below are also unusual to me.

Figtree3 and KylieS like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I read DUBRANCHE (???)

5. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you all for looking! It does look like Dubranche @kyratango - that doesn't come up with anything sadly (not from my internet research anyway!)

@komokwa yes it's to do with the thickness I think. I'm no expert but I have seen this number 18 on several pieces of food service items, it might be a more common number in that context @Bakersgma ?

And yes those two letters are confusing!! The whole thing tbh :banghead::hilarious:

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    Figtree3, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I wonder if the second part of the word is BLANCHE so something white. White metal I don't think is right though.

Dublanche maybe?

7. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Yes it could say that - du Blanche is a name, so it's certainly possible...again nothing in the searches for it though : (

When I was scanning marks, I did see many variations on Metal Blanc, some of them just used 'blanc' by itself, so it could still be the generic mark but with 'something' at the beginning and end. Then I guess the markers marks would be the E / EE - but nothing seems right there either for known makers.

I thought maybe it could be OV (for orfèvre?) then BLANC then...something else - NE? HE?

I think probably this is an unknown silversmith, so honestly at this point I would be happy with guesses at a date or region. The style is odd too I thought - not a mode I've ever seen with that pierced handle, and it's a little chunkier than most French pieces I see. (Not that I see a lot of them, I am a ceramics gal really!)

Thanks so much for looking!

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  9. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you for the idea! It does look a little like that pot in the shape, but I think the name wouldn't be so well hidden in the case of it being a brand - they tend not to hallmark the name of a hotel / end user, but engrave it after manufacture. This mark is punched in so probably not that.

It might have been a tea rooms / restaurant / hotel piece though, which might explain the very non-French clunkiness of it. It's quite utilitarian !

Thanks again for looking it's all useful fodder :bookworm:

PS that price!! :arghh::nailbiting::hilarious:

10. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Yes you are more than likely correct. Just ran out of ideas with the mark being a makers mark. Tried loads of permutations and nothing comes up with any results.

Spout is very art deco so 1920s 30s maybe. Other than that I have no idea.

KylieS likes this.
  11. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you for looking at it! I'm officially giving up she will remain nameless ...

Re: the age, I agree with you. A cautiously Art Deco flavour there in the overall shape.

Thanks again!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted