Help with some German in prayer book

Discussion in 'Books' started by ulilwitch, Apr 3, 2019.

1. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I put this prayer book up a while ago. Some of you seemed to be able to read the pages I put up. I am going to put it up for sale but wondered if these two pages held anything that should be addressed first. Thank you. bible 7.png prayer book 1.png prayer book 2.png

kyratango likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not sure this makes the handwritten page any easier to read, but tried.

upload_2019-4-3_13-43-19.png

Think I'm seeing the word for 'born' in several places, so looks like notes on years of birth for some people. I see one entry that might say 'died'.

judy, Ghopper1924, ulilwitch and 4 others like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that looks like a birth list of a family, which was often written into the remaining empty pages of a religious book, mostly into the family bible.
    the important minutes were already given in the othr discussion.
    that the writer signed it in Zug - another strictly catholic canton with many ascetic and Jesuit weirdos doesn't give it more value.
    in Europe the value - even in Switzerland - is insignificant from the historical point of view, but may appeal to religious people.

judy, Dawnno, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

The introduction is just signed The Author. What sort of issues are you wanting to make sure are addressed?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i took a train from como to zurich...
    on the way we zigged and zagged...and passed thru ZUG !!

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  6. ulilwitch

Thank You

7. ulilwitch

Thank You

8. ulilwitch

Thank You. Since I can't read this I just wanted to make sure that what was in the front of this prayer book was acceptable and that the handwriting in the back of the book wasn't demeaning or sacrilegious before I offered it to others.

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

It all looks very pious. The binding is beautiful; book may appeal to some for that alone. :)

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the last lines read: Mutter ist gestorben im Jahre 1885 am 7. Juli.
    mother has died in the year 1885 on the 7th of juli.

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  11. ulilwitch

Thank You so much.

12. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Unless you have experience with AltDeutsch Schrift, enlarging the image won't make any difference, to-wit: this ...

upload_2019-4-24_10-8-50.png is the name "Sophie Engel".

goes on from there: Ammer was born in the year 1872. then it goes on to list siblings... basically a family history. If this string is still alive, be happy to translate more, and dig a bit deeper

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  13. ulilwitch

Thank you so much but this is not my family. My Aunt gave it to me a long time ago. I thought it was hers but it was not. I don't know where she got it although she was German, she met my uncle when he was in the service. Thanks again for the offer.

14. Bronwen

Don't worry. We'll have need for the ability to read & translate this sort of thing again. Perhaps you would be willing to list yourself on this thread?

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/calling-all-translators.27668/page-4#post-494739

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

"AltDeutsch Schrift" does not exist. this here is a handwritten "deutsche Kurrentschrift".

judy likes this.
  16. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Looks the same to me. Don't know what the technical distinctions in definitions might be, but I'm guessing "Alt Deutsch" is a colloquialism for the others, commonly called that by my relatives who read it, apparently interchangeably with Suetterlin.

e.g., giving a free plug to this random service since they list all three:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...entschrift-transkriptionen/613637848-298-8776

Are you saying I typoed? "Deutsche"

kyratango likes this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Ich weiss ja nicht, wo Du Deutsch gelernt hast, aber was Du hier von Dir gibst, macht keinen Sinn. Deutsch ist eine sehr genaue Sprache.
    Ich bin allerdings froh, wenn mal jemand helfen würde, die ganzen langweiligen religiösen Texte grob zu übersetzen, da ich keine Lust mehr habe und meine Augen auch nicht. In diesem Sinne wünsche ich Dir viel Vergnügen.
    P.S.: Ich werde mich NICHT dafür entschuldigen, was ich in fünf Jahren Germanistik an der Universität gelernt habe !

18. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

Deutsche Kurrentschrift is the correct name for this handwriting. Sütterlin is a late variant taught in German schools from 1911 onward named after its inventor Ludwig Sütterlin.
    Altdeutsche Schrift translates as old German writing. The Nazis decided to use Latin Alphabets instead of the Kurrent and after the war very few people learned to read or write Kurrent, today nobody uses it and few people can read it, so many refer to it as Altdeutsche Schrift (old german writing) the same term is often used for printings in gothic letters/Blackletters, which were also no longer used around the same time. .

Dawnno, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Neimand fragte dass sie sich selbst entschuldigen. That's Germanglish.

You might wish to offer your services on the thread posted by AJ for "calling all translators" if you haven't already.

kyratango likes this.
  20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Da sieht man ja, dass Du nicht mal einfachstes Deutsch verstehst. Aber für den Schrott, den die deutschen Einwanderer mitgeschleppt haben wirds schon reichen. Deshalb nochmal: Viel Vergnügen.

Draft saved Draft deleted