HELP WITH SPANISH MESSAGE ON BACK OF PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 22, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a yard sale yesterday; it has a note to someone on the back written in spanish - can anyone give me the gist of what it says?
    Does anyone know the artist?
    Is this painting amateurish (I think so because of the simple houses, but it has...something)
    Thank you!
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ENLO 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ENLO 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ENLO 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ENLO 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ENLO 4AAA.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The most important part is Yo titulo este cuadro: Recuerdo de mis niños
    Translation: I give this picture the title: Memory of my children
    For the rest I really need to see all the words, completely, otherwise I have to start guessing. It seems to be Cuban, made for Sanchez and Re......

judy, Christmasjoy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Actually, it's "Recuerdo de mi niñez" which translates to "Childhood Memory" and then the artist follows with an anecdote about the scene. As he mentions La Habana, likely he's Cuban.

Debora

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  4. journeymagazine

Thank you guys (umm..girls umm..ladies! Dang political correctness! lol)
    Thoughts on the painting - is it eBay ok, or something I should offer to throw in for someone buying a couple of paintings? (it wasn't expensive so it's not a loss either way)
    Thanks again!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

We can give you a full translation if you post a better photograph of the inscription. It does include a location but not sure if that's the setting of painting or something else. Painting was a housewarming gift, by way.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Thanks Debora. I'll try to get better photo - it is very light & I had to play with the color & tone to get it to where you could see it.

7. DavidC

DavidC Member

For Sanchez and Remmmmmmm
    Before God that you enjoy with health and prosperity in your new house
    I as writer / artist of this frame ( art work )
    remember of my childhood

It then sort of goes on a bit and I couldn't read it very well. Mentions Habana towards the end which I suppose refers to Cuba. Heartfelt no doubt

8. DavidC

DavidC Member

The work isn't too bad at all. Of impressionist style I suppose, and probably a keen amateur but compared to some of the junk that floats around these days is a veritable masterpiece with movement and mystery. It talks to you. I'd have it happily...

9. Any Jewelry

So it is. My eyes/brain have been giving me a lot of trouble lately, which is why I didn't even look at the rest of the text.

10. Any Jewelry

Frame is one of the meanings of cuadro, the more usual is picture or painting.

Draft saved Draft deleted