Help with Split Oak and Kerwin Blurton Baskets

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joan, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I'm new here and mainly collect and sell vintage clothing, jewelry, accessories on eBay, but found two older baskets at a Goodwill Store recently and am hoping someone can tell me whether eBay is a good place to list them. If so, at what starting price, and whether I should clean the dirt/dust out of them or leave as is?

The first one is stamped on the bottom "Kerwin Blurton, Elsinore-Mo. Basket" and handwritten "Sandwich Basket $1.00", along with a piece of tape that has a woman's name written on it and "Costa Rica, C.A. 1953". The only information I found online was an article published in the Chicago Tribune Nov. 11, 1945, about the Blurton Family of basket makers (in the Ozarks). Their baskets were made of white oak and hickory hand shaved splits, and the article mentions they used a red and green painted design on their baskets, so I assume that's original.

The round split oak basket (about 10" diameter) looks somewhat old and the bottom is pushed up in the center. Does anyone know if it can be attributed to a particular group of basket makers and about how old it might be?
    BlurtonBasket-1.jpg BlurtonBasket-2.jpg BlurtonBasket-3.jpg BlurtonBasket-5.jpg Basket-OldOakSplintRound-1.jpg Basket-OldOakSplintRound-1a.jpg Basket-OldOakSplintRound-4.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

New England berry gathering basket...likely native.

judy, Joan and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much komokwa for your information on the berry gathering basket.

komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted