Help with stamps please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by S Lloyd, Mar 13, 2019.

1. S Lloyd

S Lloyd New Member

Hi Everyone
    I have a silver goblet with some stamps on the base, can anyone explain what they mean please?
    thanksx

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, S Lloyd. The long number is mostly likely the maker's design number, but neither of the other 2 has any meaning with respect to silver fineness or a clear indication of the maker's name. Please show a picture of the whole goblet.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Looking closer at the diamond shape, the letters inside (REGd ?) may be telling us that the design is "registered" a/k/a patented. This kind of thing is usually seen in the UK. Is that where you are?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. S Lloyd

S Lloyd New Member

Hello
    Many thanks for the reply, very interesting. I will post a picture of the goblet later however I have the hallmarks pic on my phone so will attach that now...

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcom, S Lloyd. The marks are for Hamilton & Inches, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1894.

[​IMG]

6. S Lloyd

S Lloyd New Member

Thanks Any Jewelry, WOW that’s really old!! Is the stamp on the base original to the piece? Did they register and patent designs in 1894?!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Yes, they did and a lot earlier. But they only started assigning a number about 1884. The number on your item is within the range of numbers used in 1894. matching the assay date letter.

Any Jewelry and afantiques like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted