Featured Help with sterling necklace, please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bluumz, Jan 7, 2019.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

It’s definitely not antique and I’m not even sure it’s vintage. In fact, I know nothing about it! Does anyone have any suggestions on designer/brand/age/what are those little dots? (The necklace is a nice solid silver. Any colors you may see, besides the dots, are reflection.)
    It is marked 925 on the ring twice, and ERLIN, which I assume is part of the word “STERLING” on the first square by the closure. Length is 16”.
    Also, what sort of style would you call this?
    Thanks!

6D0F7A89-A75A-42C9-AC5F-C18839F5394E.jpeg C73410C1-05DE-41CA-8099-AF3F89676B6D.jpeg 8F274CE9-0397-415D-B4ED-7D5652C1C016.jpeg FC0C9540-054D-4142-9108-0C65B8A63362.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Zinnie, wenna, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Early 90s ish at the earliest, given the toggle and style. The dots look like enamel. Modernist is a term. And I do believe ERLIN is the brand name.

reader, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I would agree it’s glass enamel regarding the dots. Pity many of the links aren’t soldered but it’s quite stylish.

reader, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Agree with OBB about the likely age, & looks to me like the kind of artisan made item found at crafts shows.

After having once gone on line to research who Terlin Silver was & finding a forum-type site where more than one other person had asked the same thing, was really glad not to have had to ask anyone in person, since the embarrassment was acute at having it pointed out that it was just an incomplete stamping of Sterling Silver, so I'm inclined to agree:

Jivvy, kyratango and bluumz like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Shocking to think about it but I guess 1990s can be considered vintage.
    I searched for some time to see if there was a manufacturer named "Erlin" and only came up with a Russian website retailer whom I dismissed as a possibility.
    Thanks for the "modernist" keyword!

Do you mean the jump ring-like connectors between the squares not being soldered together? None of them are but they are firmly closed and strong, not flimsy at all.
    I haven't yet weighed it, but it feels substantial.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just weighed it: 33g.

kyratango likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

I found several pieces described as ERLIN, so I'm inclined to brand name.

Jivvy, kyratango and bluumz like this.
  8. Bronwen

9. Bronwen

I should add that eBay search wanted to know if I really meant Sterlin Silver, since they have so many more listings for that.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Did anyone ever come across starling silver?

Starling, silver:
    [​IMG]

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have two sterling quails that looks like your starling.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: only mine are salt and pepper shakers
    greg

Any Jewelry, bluumz, Zinnie and 3 others like this.
  12. Houseful

It’s just something I look for when determining quality. If something isn’t marked and I’m figuring out if it might be silver the soldered links are often a giveaway.

13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Soldered or unsoldered links mean little,the panels are not marked sterling.The panels do have noticeable fire scale.Many plated sterling pieces have soldered links,but many hobbyist do not solder their links.The U.S. metal marking system also offers many mysteries to most people.

Any Jewelry, bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  14. Houseful

Maybe I’ve missed some good stuff here in the U.K. then.

kyratango, bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

One panel is marked. However, I have ordered a test kit and will try it out on this piece when it arrives.
    I must take better photos, there is no visible fire scale on the necklace. I believe the coloring is reflection but I'll take a closer look when I am next at home. (I'm at work right now, on my dinner break.)

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

There's a lot of silver out there which only has, say, the clasp marked and not individual plaques, for want of a better word. The more expensive pieces - modern, that is - are the ones where individual components are more often marked.

kyratango, Houseful, bluumz and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted