Help with sterling spoon marked just “Y”

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Oct 3, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

CB0247F5-9F18-4268-8515-5BF283C57091.jpeg 3970825C-E37C-4325-9732-60531AD3E00B.jpeg

So I took up metal detecting as a hobby over the spring and have been out hunting relatively often. I chatted a guy at an estate sale who was the one that inherited the estate and it turns out he was also into the hobby in the past. He mentioned a location to me that I was already considering going to but his tip sealed the deal. It’s a big open field now a public recreational space that formerly was part of a big farm and across the street from a large farmhouse. I went once in the summer and had some cool finds. Went again the other day and I turned up three sterling spoons!!! The first was this one and it’s a deep mark that was filled with dirt. I thought it said sterling but figured it was too good to be true and that I would get it home and clean it to find it said something close but not sterling. Within 5-10 mins I got another similar signal and sure enough one popped up that clearly was marked Lunt Sterling. Another 5-10 mins and another similar signal and another spoon. This one J.E. Caldwell and very pretty. They were all damaged and bent but all three discarded in a field at some point. Seems to have been a dumping site either for the farmhouse across the street or maybe for more folks in the town. It’s fullllll of metal. Can’t wait to go back and see if there’s more. If they had been coin I would have thought maybe a house had been there that was burned down during King Philips War but they are all sterling and modern enough that someone must have just thrown or I guess maybe dropped them there.

The one in question is marked just “Y” but has some shapes inside the Y. It’s a small and simple teaspoon. The only mark I can find that’s just a Y is Native American by the common Navajo Yazzie name. If anyone can help out with this one it would be appreciated. Interesting that they were all random makers and not from a set. Even more odd that someone potentially threw them out. If that was the case they must have not realized they were silver or I guess just not cared. Seems unlikely they wouldn’t care but who knows.

Edit:I literally just noticed there may be a A or R in top left corner of the Y and an L in top right. As the post was loading I saw it lol.

Lucille.b likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Lucille.b, J Dagger, ACP and 3 others like this.
  3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Thanks!!! Literally as my post was loading I saw the photo one last time and caught the letters there for the first time. Your answer precipitated me finding the answer though.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted