Featured Help with Stone (?) Bead ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, May 2, 2020.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Did some more 'testing' before hitting Create Thread. The color is clearly artificial, but I still can't tell if it is enhancing a natural patterning on the beads or if that is artificial too. I tried to strip the finish off one with acetone which didn't touch it. I used that one which isn't actually on the strand, just hanging on the thread (upper right). Could resin beads be that heavy (there are 63 beads altogether)? They are about 3/8". Still not sure if they are stone or not.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My original post...
    Please help! I am pretty sure these beads are stone but they have a shiny finish like they have been sealed with some type of lacquer or something. Plus they are a strange color (looks almost artificial...dyed maybe?). They are heavy and cold (this is what makes me think stone). Weight is about 93 grams and the strand is about 32" long. Any ideas? Am I totally mistaken? IMG_5453.JPG IMG_5454.JPG IMG_5455.JPG IMG_5456.JPG IMG_5457.JPG

KSW, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm going to say glass or ceramic. Something about the veining doesn't seem to me to be right for stone. Now let's see what others say.

judy, KSW, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree.

KSW, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Warning...bead sacrifice. There is definitely some kind of tinted sealer or glaze on these beads. But they do seem to be stone...broke one open; those lines do run through the interior: IMG_5458.JPG

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Now it does look like stone, as much for the texture where it is not polished as the veins, although they also look more natural in the interior. Think I see a bit of crystallization there too. Is this 'glaze' giving the veins a blue color?

The lines could run all the way through in glass, ceramic or polymer clay too, but the look of the fracture would be different.

Not speckled like granite, not layered like gneiss... Hmm. Probably something I've never heard of before. Fossilized something?

upload_2020-5-2_12-7-39.png

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think you could be right. Dyed tapeworm stone?

stracci, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  8. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Not dyed exactly, it is some sort of tinted finish.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You don't mess about do you! :jawdrop:. Get in there with that hammer:hilarious:

stracci, Bronwen, wenna and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Dang. I don't think I could destroy something trying to identify it. I'd be patient until I got an answer. :wideyed:

wenna and Bronwen like this.
  11. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I think maybe it's dyed fossil stone.

wenna, PortableTreasures and Bronwen like this.
  12. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I felt a little bad, but it was a loose bead; the necklace is intact. It was impossible to tell what the bead was actually made of. That bluish/greenish stuff wouldn't budge with acetone or even chemical stripper (this did release a little bit of green color but the finish, whatever it is, stayed on).

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted