Featured Help with this beautiful cameo brooch! Signature on the back?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Feb 20, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Bought this nice big cameo brooch for $20. To me it does not look like gold but the cameo is beautiful in great condition. It appears the cameo portion is marked with a signature but the metal frame is not. I am thinking it may be brass but am not sure. The color is too dark IMO to be gold of sorts. Is this a unique shape for a cameo brooch? How old is this piece? What does the marking mean? Seeking any info so any help is greatly appreciated!
    20190220_194131_resized.jpg 20190220_194140_resized.jpg 20190220_194156_resized.jpg 20190220_194220_resized.jpg 20190220_194248_resized.jpg 20190220_194306_resized.jpg

kingcake, Xristina, Zinnie and 4 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a nice one....i like the unusual shape !

kyratango, i need help and judy like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can't wait for @Bronwen to step in on this one......could that siggy be lower case 'rh'??? NIIIICE!!!!

i need help, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. komokwa

upload_2019-2-21_3-5-48.jpeg

mid to late 1800's
    I don't think the siggy will help with date or maker....as it could have been put there anytime.

i need help, antidiem and judy like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Very interesting and very nicely cut. Must have been quite avant garde in its time, which is early 20th century. The cutter was influenced by the art nouveau style for his lady, but, in abandoning the conventional cameo oval shape in favor of the shield shape of a lobe of the helmet shell sawn off without then rounding down the point, he was experimenting in the direction of deco. The cutter's acid-etched initials are another innovation of the time. Afraid they do not mean anything to me. :(

upload_2019-2-21_4-22-25.png

The jeweller who set the cameo, by contrast, was behind the times, which seems generally to have been the case in Italy at the time, at least when it came to this sort of thing. It may have been a deliberate choice, the intention being to give the impression the piece was older than it was. I have seen many others from this period I have suspected of having findings that were purposely anachronistic.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those earlier hinges and clasps can be found on some other southern European jewellery of the period as well. I have seen them on Italian and Spanish pieces not related to cameos or historic themes.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Xristina, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, I have some pieces of jewelry with hooked clasps that are much newer than the 19th century. Hinges, too, but not as many.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very interesting! I was thinking the cameo was even newer than that, but now have learned... again! :)

Xristina, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  9. komokwa

well not being an expert , i guess the pin and grab could be newer than it seems.

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought the surround was newer than that, thanks!

11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I, too, would have guessed the cameo was newer than early 20th century, despite the C-clasp. The ski-slope nose and jutting chin seems popular even now. Good thing I didn't embarrass myself by making a guess before Bronwen stepped in, LOL!

I love the leaves around the base of the figure... much better than the usual plethora of fakey-looking flowers, IMHO.

antidiem, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

And I three.:D

antidiem, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The difference between the artisanal jewellers of a place like Naples and the sophisticated houses of Rome and other capital cities. Some Greek souvenir brooches from as late as the 1940s were made with the trombone clasps long out of use elsewhere.

Like a patent, hinges, clasps, etc., give a terminus post quem, the point in time after which a piece has to have been made. So do hairstyles. Nothing prevents their being made any time later.

Ah, but someone knocking out cameos in the 1950s would not have given her that slightly zaftig, very womanly chin. And the nose is nothing like as extreme as was seen later.

The technique of leaving a very fine layer of white on the background, instead of clearing it all right down to the brown, and then incising some of the design into it is also characteristic of this period. This cutter has done an especially fine job of using light & shadow to create a much greater illusion of depth than the shell affords in reality.

antidiem, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

In some parts of Europe trombone clasps were even used in the 60s. In Germany for instance they were used on quality costume brooches.

antidiem, Bronwen, kyratango and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted