Featured Help with this black beauty. Deco era? Maybe Bakelite? Artist piece

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Oct 28, 2022.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

30575F07-0FAF-4D9D-9B05-B55F4D199954.jpeg 885AD16C-FE01-45DF-A49D-92676BD9438F.jpeg 23F801D0-2F2E-4556-AE43-FEBC1252A20E.jpeg 2B1C83C6-2F37-46AF-BE23-1BF1472C2A52.jpeg 77612C9E-51FA-4345-A988-834A16B239F4.jpeg ACD728E2-3254-44C9-B81A-9F8C491EBCD9.jpeg
    Hi!
    I’ve had this sitting around for a while. I’ve not been able to come up with anything on it. It’s approx 15.5” in length, strung on string and unsure of what the material is. I don’t see any seams but don’t think this was carved. When I picked it up the person behind me got upset and muttered that it was made by ???? But I was afraid to ask them what they had mentioned since they were a little perturbed

Anywho, hoping for some info on this I have not tested it for Bakelite. I’ve come to understand black can be hard to test? I only faintly smell perfume. I can never smell Bakelite at any rate.

Am I right on the deco era and style?

Thank you as always for any help you may provide.

IvaPan, KSW, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  2. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

That’s really cool! Not sure I can be of much help, but let’s see…. be warned, I may have more questions than you have!

The short length points toward earlier.

That type clasp has been around for decades & was definitely used during Bakelite’s heyday. There’s heavy Deco influence, but whether it’s period Deco would depend on other things including a definitive material I.D.
    I seem to recall plain baking soda being the better test for black Bakelite - dampen a q-tip or cloth, dip into the soda & rub…. Wash the spot before you test, and after.

It reminds me a bit of the deco-flavored chunky beaded necklaces of disco era 70s/early 80s…. Leaning toward older however.

You say it’s strung on ‘string’ - what material is the string? The only place in your pics I can spot almost looks like clear acrylic, but I can’t see it very well.
    (Just noticed you said you weren’t sure of the material…nvm!)

Does it feel lighter or heavier for its size? Is it all the same material ie plastic? Or possibly metal/glass etc on some pieces?

Just to clarify, is there any iridescence or is it gloss black?

Are there any chips on any of the pieces that would show what’s underneath the black?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    IvaPan, KSW, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  3. gauntlettgems

[QUOTE="Rufus@frockstarvintage

Hi!
    Definitely strung on a black, cotton?, string. No chips or nips in it that would let me know if it is black through and through I tried shining my phone light through a slab and it’s very opaque. You can’t see any light coming through. It is weighty but certainly not heavy. It’s almost a semi gloss black with no iridescent sheen. It does appear to be made from the same material My gut instinct was saying this was from the 40’s but…
    Posted a pic of the baking soda test! Weird. Lol 903E506D-85DD-44F9-8ADE-D8EFEF7C7630.jpeg 27A75ED7-6388-4644-A5F2-6D884F58D6FB.jpeg

KSW, Lark, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  4. Rufus@frockstarvintage

That looks like dye on the q-tip.
    Was there any noticeable scent when you applied the baking soda?

KSW likes this.
  5. gauntlettgems

I didn’t trying sniffing it. My nose is not the best

KSW likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The facets look hand cut, so I think proper Deco era. Does it feel warm or cold?

KSW and Lark like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Whitby jet?

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Haven't seen an Art Deco Whitby jet necklace, but you never know.
    Gauntlett, you can test for jet by rubbing an inconspicuous part of the necklace on unglazed porcelain, the back of a tile for instance.

French jet (Bohemian glass) can be hand cut as well.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find !

gauntlettgems likes this.
  10. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Stunning on I bet!

KSW, Born2it and gauntlettgems like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Is this heavy? Cold to the touch? Magnetic?

KSW and gauntlettgems like this.
  12. gauntlettgems

It’s not glass for sure! I’ll try the whit y test but I doubt it. I’ll try the touch test again to see if it’s cold. It’s a real stumper!

KSW and komokwa like this.
  13. Rufus@frockstarvintage

While you’re at it, try the baking soda test again if you can recruit a sensitive-to-stink nose! Medicinal/formaldehyde scent would point to Bakelite.

KSW and drg642 like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm thinking haemetite.

15. Rufus@frockstarvintage

I’m thinking it’s Destined to be Mine ;)

KSW, gauntlettgems and bercrystal like this.
  16. gauntlettgems

Definitely not hematite.

komokwa and KSW like this.
  17. gauntlettgems

Hi,
    Finally got around to doing the Whitby test on unglazed earthenware and the following is the result. What do you think? It’s definitely not any kind of glass or cold stone. 7F9ED5FA-0174-4BFD-BBA9-94F6F7DE3DD0.jpeg 22566ACA-8A01-4776-A3F5-E12489327BA3.jpeg 9164E8A6-60C9-452A-ABAC-90E263F38ACB.jpeg 9DC8F7F2-2B5E-4E3C-9F1C-24572AF49945.jpeg

What do you think?

Thank you

18. gauntlettgems

A3E84DF5-23F5-4D39-9C08-1B3800C07ECA.jpeg
    Just found this while looking up something else!!! The beads on the last piece look like mine. Maybe Whitby jet. Woo hoo. Gonna keep looking

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

jet is a good possibility !!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. gauntlettgems

Yay!! I’m stoked. Just bought the book for research

KSW and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted