Help with this dagger please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by CaseyB, Apr 17, 2021.

1. CaseyB

CaseyB New Member

5A7348EA-155F-448C-88A3-534689261784.jpeg 55495DF0-85EA-4AC8-BF2F-6D53912D6610.jpeg F04836A9-858E-4697-838B-C337945F9048.jpeg 09181D51-D21A-4578-8514-C7161CCCA519.jpeg Hi,
    My hubby and I recently bought this bc it looked cool and he had to have it. We’ve been trying to figure out what the blade says and really find any information we can with little luck. Is there anyone out there who could help us with any information especially translation of the blade?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2021
    KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

in the shape of a Moroccan Koumya dagger......but it's really a letter opener.

I doubt the Arab script is of great meaning......if it's indeed readable ....

KSW likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

All I know is it's begging for a pirate costume this Halloween!

KSW likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it is a souvenir type dagger, but a nice one.
    It looks more like a bichaq to me, Ottoman Turkey and Balkans. Bichaq hilts usually have a sttyized bird's head shape (my term :confused:). The sheaths sometimes have that little curve at the end, sometimes with a dolphin's head. Maybe the ones with the curve are the Balkans type.

A khoummiya has two notches in the blade and the hilt has a large flat pommel.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    KSW and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

4 now I'll stick with my findings...

upload_2021-4-17_18-20-46.jpeg

6. Any Jewelry

I keep seeing an asymmetrical hilt on Casey's photos, and no notches on the blade.:confused: To me the hilt has the same shape as the one on this Ottoman Balkans bichaq:

upload_2021-4-18_15-15-10.jpeg

The use of Arabic on a Berber khoummiya would not go down well with the Berbers I used to know. Years ago I saw a Spanish made replica of a khoummiya with an Arabic inscription. Moroccans did comment on that.:oops:

7. komokwa

i see what you're looking at.....but u have to take the whole item into consideration...
    the Bichaq blade...and sheath do not IMO, conform to the one the OP presents..

upload_2021-4-18_11-23-8.jpeg

Plus....the horn handle seems to me to be disturbed....roughed up, and or broken on one side , leaving only one notch visible...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

In that case, and since the blade is not the khoummiya blade with two notches, it could be a copy of a Berber hunting knife. Berber hunting knives have the same shape hilts as khoummiyas, they look like miniatures, except the blade is different.

9. CaseyB

CaseyB New Member

Oh my gosh thank you for discussing it so much, it gives us some areas to look at. If it helps the couple we bought this from traveled a lot. There were a lot of African artifacts at the sale.

KSW, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. CaseyB

CaseyB New Member

Oh my gosh thank you for discussing it so much, it gives us some areas to look at. If it helps the couple we bought this from traveled a lot. There were a lot of African artifacts at the sale.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted