Featured Help with Thrift Find - Painting of 105 yr old Bahamian Reverend; Artist known? Thoughts on Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 20, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at my local thrift store - I like the painting but the info about it on back is even more cool! It is a painting of a 105 year old Bahamian Reverend!
    Also it looks like the artist name is Hill Herwood but nothing comes up when I google it - does anyone else know/heard of him? (the painting has to have some age - his phone number in MD. is without a area code)

Hope you enjoy this find!

ART PAINTING BAHAMIAN REVERAND 105 YEARS OLD 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING BAHAMIAN REVERAND 105 YEARS OLD 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING BAHAMIAN REVERAND 105 YEARS OLD 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING BAHAMIAN REVERAND 105 YEARS OLD 3AA.JPG
    ART PAINTING BAHAMIAN REVERAND 105 YEARS OLD 3AAA.JPG

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I would think the name on the back is more likely to be the owner that had it framed, unless it is also signed on the front.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet, Hill Herwood was an orchestra leader, not an artist.

Debora

4. journeymagazine

No signature on front

judy, pearlsnblume and ulilwitch like this.
  5. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

The area codes for Hyattsville MD are 301, 240. I don't know if this helps you or not.

antidiem, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Journey, but I just don't see any real artistry in this pallet knife painting.
    I wish you the best to recoup your initial investment and more.
    Looks like something done in the 1990s scraped with a fork by an amateur.
    I doubt a reverend so elderly could have "sat" for that, so done from a picture.
    Could certainly have been a souvenir, or a sunday painter while taking a vacation in the Bahamas!

I would definitely contact the address on the back, give them your contact information email or some easy way for them to respond. IF that was someone they knew who painted it, they may want to re-acquire it.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The owner of the painting appears to have died several years ago. His obituary can be found on the internet. And, I too, think perhaps a painting by a local artist bought during his travels.

Debora

antidiem likes this.
  8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Owner died, heirs didn't want it, thus out the door it went. Pretty sure the family doesn't want you tracking them down. . .

antidiem likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

And I'm sure I wouldn't for a painting by an unknown artist

antidiem and BoudiccaJones like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted