Featured help with unknown fine china

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Yosm, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Yosm

Yosm New Member

Hi, my friend just inherited some fine china from their grandmother and is would like some more information on what they are. It looks like therey come from different companies.

plates from France:
    PXL_20230219_025927814.jpg
    PXL_20230219_025934765.jpg

Plates from Japan, I think these marks are from 1911 -1921:

PXL_20230219_025812134.jpg
    PXL_20230219_025801261.jpg PXL_20230219_025754325.jpg

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Attached Files:

judy, johnnycb09 and bercrystal like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Pretty things but sadly the market for fine china is DOA. Unless its something special like Meissen or Flora Danica its practically worthless. Except for sentiment of course. Id use them myself. Until the 70s or so every single bride had a set of good china,most of wich sat in a china cabinet . The tradition pretty much died out,but by that point there was untold millions of sets out there. Those ladies started passing away and the young people want nothing to do with fine china so thrifts are flooded with them.Go to ebay,type in Noritake china and see how many listings pop up. Then hit completed sales. Its sad.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Lovely Noritake set

Indeed Johnny is correct. Seems Noritake fell out of favor with the children of those 1970s brides, much the same way that sturdy old brown wood furniture has gone out of style. IMHO, it's much nicer dinnerware than is sold today. I've seen people match it with depression glass ware for lovely table displays.

johnnycb09 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and Bakersgma like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Pretty stuff but I agree that, sadly, china sets are mostly worthless nowadays. You might get $25 on FB Marketplace, if you're even able to find a buyer.
    I married in 1986 and my mother convinced me to put a set of fine china on my bridal registry. When no one bought me any pieces, mom gifted me a complete set, insisting it was a necessary thing for a new bride to have. It's still in sealed boxes, no takers for it within my family and no FB buyers interested... even dirt cheap. :rolleyes:
    Having dinner parties just isn't a popular thing to do anymore, everyone goes out to eat.

My set, Mikasa Classic Flair in Peach:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Figtree3, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yep, china has tanked. If it can't go in the microwave and dishwasher, no one wants it any more :(

Figtree3, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ooooo I love those ! Pure 1980s !

bluumz likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I got 3 sets from Mom.....& a Mikasa set..
    My wife uses the Mikasa...
    My daughter took one set...
    and 2 stay boxed up.....one I believe is Meissen green vine leaf that I kept hoping one day it would be worth something.....but the net is still littered with them..

Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

You're welcome to it if you can find a way to pick it up!

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why ?
    how heavy is it ?

:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:...............:hilarious:

bluumz and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

Your Pickard plates have their mark that was used from 1905-1910. You'll notice they're signed M. Keates. That was Madeline Keates, who worked at Pickard from 1905-1910. She was 13 when she started and left at 18. Her father, Alfred Keates, also worked at Pickard, from 1903-1910. It's unusual to find any of her work. There are some Pickard pieces on the internet signed Keates, those are Alfred's work. There's currently a listing on ebay for one of Madeline's Pickard pieces(it's listed with another piece by another Pickard artist).

I'm attaching a scan from the book 'Collector's Encyclopedia of Pickard China' by Alan Reed. Page 144 shows the pattern called 'Blossom Time', the plate is a JPL blank like yours. One of the pieces is signed M. Keates. The values shown are outdated(from 2000) and as others have stated many of these pieces no longer bring a good price.

keatespickardblossomtime.jpg

13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

[​IMG]

Bakersgma, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I enjoy using older china or other ceramic plates. Because they are not worth much now, I don't mind putting them in the dishwasher or microwave (if they don't have metallic decoration). The dishwasher eventually ruins most of them... but I would just buy more in that case. These are very nice!

komokwa likes this.
  15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

A lot of people collect hand painted Pickard items. So if you want to sell it, I would suggest that you look at ebay's completed listings to get an idea of what buyers look for and the price ranges (search: hand painted Pickard). Otherwise, consider that this is hand painted china, not mass produced, decorated by Pickard, a widely collected brand. Hopefully, you can find some way to use it yourself and preserve it.

16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hold on a second. I just noticed that this is 2 different sets, not all one set. (what a dummy!). The few Pickard items I would definitely keep, the ones with the orange flowers and the 2nd set of old Noritake, well meh. It's not valuable at all but could be used if you like it.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted