Featured HELP WITH VERY COOL, VERY UNUSUAL, ERTE(?) FINIAL LAMP (NOT A LAMP FINIAL!)

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 14, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this on the lamp table at a local thrift store & grabbed it - I was sure I'd just found a art nouveau, or even a Erte lamp!
    But when I looked at it closer, it was the coolest, and most unusual, lamp I've ever seen! - The base has a bolt and nut like it was the top (like a finial?) of something else - and something larger.
    What is this??
    Is it a Erte?
    PS - it measures 22" tall not counting the sockets
    Thanks for any info; I greatly appreciate it!

furniture lamp ERTE FINIAL TYPE 1AA.JPG furniture lamp ERTE FINIAL TYPE 2AA.JPG furniture lamp ERTE FINIAL TYPE 5AA.JPG furniture lamp ERTE FINIAL TYPE 3baaAA.JPG furniture lamp ERTE FINIAL TYPE 3AA.JPG furniture lamp ERTE FINIAL TYPE 4AA.JPG

kingcake, Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Probably had an onxy base, long smashed and missing. Style of figure is Chiparus, but don't think it's one of his ...odd thing, no doubt you will be able to find some more info , someone will be along to expand soon, no doubt.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

she's nice....very art deco style...missing some nice globes and a thick marble base........but...to me...she doesn't look old....

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  4. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Those tension spring globe holders are clues that this may not be old. Early ones were a flat head bolt.

5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The safety labels on the bulb sockets can't be very old. 20+ years or so? Does anyone know for sure?

aaroncab, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not even a stone base then.............

8. wiscbirddog

Poor girl hasn't been treated very kindly in her short life. :(

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  9. journeymagazine

Thanks all (and of course you DragonflyWink!) - so what can Ido to give her a base?
    I still like her!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

If your planning to re sell it I wouldn't even bother putting any money into it. Sell it as is and be happy what you get for it.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. wiscbirddog

I don't think she is worth new globes & a base if you are going to be selling her. Cheaper to ship without them too.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would suggest you find a local company that makes trophies for sports events. I needed a marble base for a lamp that got broken. Most places I contacted wanted 125 to 200 to find a replacement. The local trophy place found a new base for me for 35 dollars. It was an inch shorter but the difference in price was wonderful. You only see the difference when the two lamps are side by side. Since I have them apart by 7 feet you can not tell.
    greg

13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

This is a great idea! I would fix her. I think she's lovely and if I'd have found her, I'd keep her.

I noticed perhaps when she was knocked off of her base, the base damage occurred? I cannot even find any actual "damage" to her? Excellent FIND!! :cat: Congrats!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

You might even try a place that makes granite countertops. They are normally
    1-1/4 inch thick and they would have scrap cut ends. They may even drill a center hole and a recess for the nut in the bottom for just a few dollars.

patd8643 and antidiem like this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Sandra,
    Good call!!!!
    greg

Sandra likes this.
  16. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg, I am always trying to find a way to minimize the cost of repairs to keep the price I can resell it to a minimum.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  17. journeymagazine

Both great ideas - I was just at a local trophy shop getting a small plaque added to a gold foil $100 bill inside 2 pieces of plexiglass so I know a shop and father & son who run it!

antidiem likes this.
  18. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

please keep us posted on how it turns out :)

i need help likes this.
  19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

As said above, Art Deco, not Art Nouveau :)

Draft saved Draft deleted