Help with vintage print blind stamp ID please

Discussion in 'Art' started by KSW, Sep 26, 2018.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Please can anyone help with any information on a print stamp?
    I can't load photos as I'm on an iPad .
    I picked up an obviously old black and white print (engraving? Excuse my ignorance) at a charity shop.
    It is a lovely scene of a mother gazing into a crib with a sleeping baby.
    It has a blind stamp in an oval with PrintSellers at the top, DNZ in the centre and Association at the bottom. I've googled but can't see this stamp anywhere.
    I'll work on posting photos.
    Thankyou

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, KSW.
    It is a very sweet print.
    Please don't apologize, we are all ignorant of something. We are here to learn and share.

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou Any Jewelry . I love it and am going to get the frame restored but it would be great to know who it is by and it's age.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is probably after a painting, but those who can tell you more will be along later.

scoutshouse, i need help and judy like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers KSW!

scoutshouse, KSW and i need help like this.
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Welcome. I’ve found out it’s on Alamo as a stock photo, titled Mother and Child by George Smith.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, KSW! :)

scoutshouse and KSW like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou, great detective work!
    Also Thankyou for the nice welcome . My OH despairs of me as I bring home what he considers junk from charity shops but I love researching what I've found. I may stick around here for a while as you all seem a tolerant bunch . The last success was finding someone's old wedding photos in the back of a frame behind a print and reuniting them with their descendants through Facebook.

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

That’s such a nice story! :)

Any Jewelry, scoutshouse and KSW like this.
  11. Cris Drugan ISA-AM

Cris Drugan ISA-AM Active Member

In 1838 the guild of the Printsellers' Association was set up, later known as the Fine Art Trade Guild, and one of its aims was to regulate the number of proofs printed before commencing the main run of a plate. The presence of their blind stamp is therefore clear evidence that a print is a proof. [2] Blind stamps were not part of the printing process, but were added on completion of the run and consequently vary in their placing on the prints.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=n...q=PrintSellers Association blindstamp&f=false

12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

OMG, you must stay. I love researching (even the junk) and I love reuniting old photos with the family of origin.

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your photo is not quite detailed enough to see, but it looks like it might be a mezzotint. This was an intaglio (engraving) technique that could create the fine shading shown. The engraver used a rocking tool that allowed him to cover large areas, varying the density of the markings to create more or less shading. This was instead of the lines, dots and cross-hatching used in traditional engraving (though sometimes the techniques were used together on the same plate).

scoutshouse likes this.
  14. 2manybooks

My associate would like to ask:
    Was this the practice of 20th century French ateliers as well? I have seen Picasso lithographs with publisher embossments, not signed/limited, and Ronald Searle prints which ARE signed/limited, and believed it was to denote authenticity.

Any Jewelry, scoutshouse and KSW like this.
  15. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

scoutshouse likes this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'll get it out of th frame later and get some better pictures but there are nails involved!

scoutshouse likes this.
  18. 2manybooks

A proof is a preliminary print, like a trial run, to see if it is what you want or if any changes need to be made to the plate before a full series is printed.

Fid and KSW like this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou

i need help likes this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any ideas on the DNZ on the stamp?

Draft saved Draft deleted