Featured Help With Wording On Engraving Please (Interior of a Highlanders Cottage)

Discussion in 'Art' started by orrbobby, May 3, 2020.

1. orrbobby

orrbobby Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, hope all is well during these trying times. With a little extra time on my hands I took this engraving off the wall in the garage. I purchased this last year and never really researched it. Anyway, my question is this, in the description it says "To whom this print is by special permission most respectfully dedicated by his obliged servants E&W Finden". Any clues as to what this means?? Many thanks in advance!! IMG_1049.jpg IMG_1048.jpg IMG_1050.jpg IMG_1045.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A steel plate engraving. The original painting was done by Edwin Landseer (1802-1873), and this print was engraved by William Finden (1787-1852).

I'm going to guess that Finden needed the permission of the owner before he could engrave the plate.

E. Finden (1791-1857) was Edward Finden, William's younger brother and collaborator (they were owners of an engraving business, so other hands may have been involved, quite successful in their day).

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  3. orrbobby

Got it, Thank you!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Read the line before the one you quoted, orrbobby. The original painting by Landseer was at the time of the engraving in the Collection of William Wells of Redleaf, Kent, England. That's who the engraver is acknowledging and thanking for the special permission to copy it.

5. orrbobby

Hmmmm. Why didn't I think of that?? HAHA, Thanks so much. Hope all is well!!

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The white mat appears to be acidic... I realize it's garage art now... but you might consider having it re-matted so that the paper doesn't deteriorate.

orrbobby likes this.
  7. orrbobby

Thanks for the advice, will do as I really like this piece, garage art or not!!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted