Featured Henry Griffith and Sons Connemera Pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by i need help, Oct 17, 2019.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

ADF2CE15-5AB2-4D99-A108-714AB270A180.jpeg FF6A3795-4475-4A12-841E-6E7FE518D0EE.jpeg BD360E2A-8E7A-4ADF-8C11-A99042852B64.jpeg 699AEF7D-A156-4436-84BE-67BB72C3C537.jpeg Hi Everyone,
    I have this pin, I think is Henry Griffith & Sons. It says “Deanta I Sasana" which I understand Means Made In England. I’m struggling to get good photos of the marks. I’m certain the center mark is .925, and the last is Y.
    As far as I can’t tell there is no “dot” in the HG&S. Any way to figure out the rest? Thank you for looking. :shame:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are you retaking the pictures?

3. i need help

I reposted the ones I had. I will try more photos when the sun comes up tomorrow.

4. i need help

5. Bakersgma

When you can, see whether you can get a focus on that punch to the left of the 925.

The 925 has only been used since 1999 so the pin is fairly new.

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

Will do, Thank you!

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

8. i need help

Thank you Mill Cove, it’s the other set of marks, I will try again, with daylight. :)

James Conrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Mill Cove Treasures

10. i need help

I really do appreciate it. :)

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  11. Mill Cove Treasures

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The best I could pull out of Topaz's Gigapixel AI: To the left of the 925, it looks like either 1x or 1 and a smaller 3.....to me....don't know what that symbol is in the square to the right of the 925?....oh wait....maybe a Y! Next image down, those were SOME TINY MARKS!!!! DO NOT know the left one, middle could be either 825 or 925?? and right....too bright a spot for me to see well, but could be a "y"! And I believe you said you knew the last one.....BUT I LOVE the pin!!!!

X3ZZZZZZ -8C11-A99042852B64-edit.jpeg
    X3ZZZZZZ 84BE-67BB72C3C537-edit.jpg
    X3ZZZZZZ 4A12-841E-6E7FE518D0EE-edit.jpeg

13. Bakersgma

Thanks, Mill Cove. It's bigger and it's clearer, but it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on a set of British silver marks.

14. i need help

Thank you, Aqui! :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  15. i need help

Maybe the Translation I got was incorrect? My eyes are burning. It looks almost like a hashtag #.
    I was trying to compare to Dublin, but I will try in the morning for better photos.

16. Bakersgma

Can't be Dublin. They don't use the 925 and that's Ireland, not England.

i need help likes this.
  17. Mill Cove Treasures

The square next to 925 almost looks like a badly stamped 5.

i need help likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a cutie, inh.:happy:
    The .925 in an oval cartouche has been an Irish import mark for over a century. In this case import from the UK after independence would make sense. So does Sasaná, Irish Gaelic for England.
    Here is a photo of the Irish import marks page from Tardy's:

upload_2019-10-18_14-30-52.jpeg

The import date letter on your lucky brooch looks like a Y in a square. If it is, it means it was imported into Ireland in 1966.
    http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Dates/Dublin/Date Letters Y.html
    This is just the import info. The brooch could have been made at any time before import in 1966, so I hope someone has more information on what looks like a Henry Griffith mark.

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I know it gets said much that we didn't use 925 before the 90s, or that it means newer, but that's really not true. I have a Charles Horner hatpin, for example, clearly marked 925 and have seen other pieces of a similar age with 925 on them.

The Common Control mark, which has been an option since 1976 in the UK does have the option to use 925 as part of a set of hallmarks, but it's quite different.

aj is spot on, those are Irish import marks. The HG&S and the written script look older than 1966 to me. I'd need to go find my big Jacksons to check the date, I suspect it's earlier.

20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, it feels earlier and the general style looks earlier too.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted