Featured Henry Housier - know anything about this artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Tom Mackay, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

I find the same paragraph or two everywhere I manage to find anything at all, obviously all originating from the same single source.
    An image search - as typical - produces lots of images, most NOT by him.
    I've found images of 7 paintings online and one on a 1950's tin of shortbread biscuits from a Scottish manufacturer that I've seen nowhere else.
    Here's the info from which all comes that I have found -

"Brief Artist Bio : Henry Housier (French, 1905-) was born in 1905 in Lyon, France. He began his art study at a local painting school and later moved to Paris where he continued his art education at the Académie des Beaux-Arts (Academy of Fine Arts). Housier is primarily known for his colorful Parisian cityscapes & street-scenes which feature the daily life and people of Paris, cafés & outdoor restaurants but is also known for his landscapes, marine scenes, and lake & coastal scenes, from the upper Italian regions and floral still lifes which he often mastered in perfect abstraction. He traveled extensively and also lived in Italy and Holland for a time, all the while continuing to develop his painting skills and furthering his artistic career. He exhibited in numerous shows in Paris, Rome and Vienna. (Rewritten & compiled by Mark Strong of Meibohm Fine Arts, Inc., from sources: Our internal records.)"

That's from Worthpoint in 2014.

Is he really still alive at 112? I doubt it. He seems to have peaked in the 50's and been, ultimately, an artist of minor note.
    You'll find the sailboats with windmill, the Arc d' Triomphe street scene,, three Paris street scenes, a woodland/river landscape, and sail boats on water near a lakeside village.
    The biscuit tin shows small sailboats pulled up on shore, probably in the same village.

But somewhere there should be more! Someone should know more!

2. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Let's hope so cause that someone ain't me!;):D

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. Tom Mackay

That was kind of you to search, Thanks !
    Here's part of the biscuit tin image I found pretty enough to start asking questions. 20170402_124855.jpg

5. Any Jewelry

Gorgeous, reminds me of holidays on the Rivièra. It would start me searching as well.
    I also tried to find the painter in Dutch and Italian, since he also lived in those countries. Nothing.
    I think this painting is of a coastal village on the Italian Rivièra or following that coastline further south to the Naples area. It would have to be a small village that didn't have a harbour at the time, early to mid 60s, because the boats are on the beach. There could be a small harbour now, though.
    Looks like the perfect place for a holiday, seafood underneath those parasols with the bougainvillea in the background, glass of local wine, etc.

kyratango, judy, scoutshouse and 3 others like this.
  6. Tom Mackay

Here is the whole picture - or as much as the tin showed, insufficient thanks for your efforts ! 20170427_064149.jpg
    I was thinking a lake, perhaps in the north ?

7. Any Jewelry

The Italian and Swiss lakes are pretty densely populated, the rich and famous all want their lakeside villas so the shores are either built up, paved, or there are 'proper' harbours. A lot of rocky and paved shores, I can't remember boats on sandy beaches.
    This is a typical lakeside village:
    [​IMG]
    A more general view:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. Tom Mackay

Mmmm. I do remember searching, using similar images, and noticing the lack of sandy shorelines, more like in this Housier painting. Italian Riviera suggests some
    interesting search possibilities...
    Henry Housier sailboats on lake.JPG

9. Any Jewelry

The boats on your tin remind me of boats in the French Mediterranean, but that high mountain close to the shore is more like the Italian side of the border. That's why I thought of that part of the Med.

French boats, Sanary-sur-Mer:
    [​IMG]

Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, by van Gogh:
    [​IMG]

10. Tom Mackay

The more I look the less I'm inclined to think it's a lake scene.
    If I ever discover more I will find this thread and bump it !

11. Cheryl71

Cheryl71 New Member

I was wondering if you found anything out about this artist? I have an old painting by him and I cant find much information on him

12. Tom Mackay

Cheryl71, I've found no more, but I understand the difficulty of your quest.
    I'd love to see a photo of your picture, if you'd care to upload one or two !

13. Any Jewelry

Same here, I'd love to see it.

14. Tom Mackay

Cheryl71, is it a street scene? Here's a couple of examples. 1003111385_1_1000x700_housier-oil-painting-kempton-park.jpg 17ParisCafeStreetScene3479_Housier.jpg

15. Maxs

Maxs New Member

I have one of his works called Boats. Bought it at Gardiner Auctions in London Ontario Canada about 40 years ago

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  16. Maxs

Maxs New Member

17. Maxs

Maxs New Member

I have a painting similar to this location called Boats by him. Purchased 40 years ago at auction in London Ontario Canada.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

post some pics....

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. Tom Mackay

Yes, pics please !

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I hope that Maxs returns to post some pics!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted