Featured Henry Moore - Nuclear Energy

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, Jun 20, 2018.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Was just on the University of Chicago campus with a friend. He is from NYC so no knowledge of the University. I mentioned to him that it was the birthplace of the Nuclear age with the Pile-1 experiment and that there was a monument on the original site somewhere. Low and behold, a couple blocks later we find the monument with this sculpture by Henry Moore, entitled, Nuclear Energy. It is now the site of their library with the dome portion in the background here (pic is not mine).

moore.jpg

Here is a drawing of the original experiment that changed our world.

[​IMG]

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing that on TV. wasn't it like they pulled rods out of the pile to start fusion then they hoped like hell when they pushed the rods back in it would stop? Or something like that.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Fission.

It was an unknown.

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

:)Last time I went fission I caught 2 catfish.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There's a full scale plaster maquette of that statue in the Art Gallery of Ontario (and another in the Tate). Moore gave a large number of plaster maquettes to the AGO. It was to be a hands-on sculpture gallery but it became pretty obvious, pretty quick, that they wouldn't last long with that policy. Now, it's strictly hands off.

That picture of the pile: it's almost a Buck Rogers approach to nuclear energy, isn't it. Can you imagine such a set-up today?

Rayo56, anundverkaufen and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted