hep identify artist signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jenia, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Jenia

Jenia New Member

Hi All,

Any help welcomed to identify ED or EDF artist signature. Does anyone have any idea on the identity of the artist?
    Thank you in advance!
    Jenia

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm afraid you need to go back to re-post your picture, Jenia.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And, Jenia, please make sure to include a photograph of the entire work including frame as well as a close-up of the artist's signature.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Jenia

Jenia New Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Appears to be oil. Is it behind glass? The frame isn't original. Have you taken it out to see what you can find?

Debora

6. Jenia

Jenia New Member

yes indeed, oil on canvas in frame with glass. I agree, the frame is not original. The rear of canvas has a stamps and hand written in chalk on the frame in Italian, but non give a clue of the artist.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, if there are stamps and hand writing on the back, I would suggest you post a photograph.

Debora

Roaring20s likes this.
  8. Jenia

Jenia New Member

9. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I tried to compensate for the glare ... until we get a better photo.
    aaa.png

The circular label says property of and a name. That name looks to be repeated in red on the stretcher. I cannot read it.

Debora likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think owner's name is Santo_a(r/s)_(a/o)(z/y?) A bit like Wordle. What saint's name fits in?

upload_2022-1-16_18-47-53.png

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Couldn't do much with artist's signature. Not even sure where it starts. I see what looks like a capital F or T.

upload_2022-1-16_18-54-18.png

12. Jenia

Jenia New Member

I think you are right it says Santabarba (y ?)

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks as if an Italian auctioneer marked it as his personal possession without lot number. Mia Proprietà and -.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Trying to guess the subject matter. Romeo and Juliet? The figure in the back looks like he's wearing a circlet of leaves on his head. Some famous opera? You can't really see details on the crowd in the background

16. Jenia

Jenia New Member

I though that the background figures are group of musicians playing traditional instruments, there is also a dark shadow figure there. I have checked mythological subjects and sleeping, but mostly refer to Ariadne sleeping. Can anyone recognise the artist by impasto technique?

Draft saved Draft deleted