Here is a Japanese Satsuma Samurai Warrior earthware Urn Vase authentic or faux?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ellie Jones, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Ellie Jones

Ellie Jones Member

I found this lovely vase here recently on one of our outings. I just loved the look of it. The question is it authentic? Old? or Faux? It has no markings that I can find on it. It is in very good condition. I appreciate any thoughts you guys might have on it. samsuta moriage vase 1100111.jpg samsuta moriage vase 1100133.JPG samsuta moriage vase 1100155.JPG samsuta moriage vase 1100177.JPG samsuta moriage vase 1100188.JPG

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Looks okay to me for Satsuma, maybe early 20th? I'm not the best at dating this stuff.

i need help likes this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes this is Japanese, circa 1900-1910, more properly Kyoto earthenware. Cheap version of Satsuma.

4. Ellie Jones

Ellie Jones Member

So blooey just to clarify. It's not Satsuma? But Kyoto earthenware. A cheaper version of Satsuma? Can you share with me how to know the difference? Thanks!

5. Ellie Jones

Ellie Jones Member

And idea on value? or selling price?

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Satsuma is made in the Satsuma clan kilns. It is always marked with the clan seal or "mon".
    The pottery you show above is more of a mass-produced ware made to a price point rather than to a quality ideal - built to satisfy the voracious demand of a export market fascinated with things Japanese, but on limited funds.

The clay is very similar to Satsuma and is often sold as Satsuma; however that does not make it so.

OTOH, Kyoto earthenwares of an earlier date are not necessarily lower quality than "actual" Satsuma ware. These wares can often equal to or even surpass the clan productions in quality. There are many famous potters who worked in this material who were not members of or firing at the Satsuma clan kilns.

Your vase is still quite attractive BTW!

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

As for date, I think it is before 1900s. More 1880/90s.

If you haven't found this site, you might find it very helpful
    http://gotheborg.com/

8. Ellie Jones

Ellie Jones Member

9. Ellie Jones

Ellie Jones Member

Blooey & Clutteredcloset49 thank you for the help! I was immediately attracted to it because of what I thought was really nice look. I have another one that I'm curious about that I haven't gotten listed yet. Can't wait to hear what you think about it!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted