Featured Here's what I found this weekend

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 13, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Greeting everyone!

I went on a road trip for work and found a good amount of time to stop at thrift stores on my way there and back. These are my finds from two days in lots of stores I've never been too. I'll get some better photos of the items I'm going to actually polish (a few of them are going right into the scrap pile but I promise not to scrap the large Gorham sterling compote. Total paid for everything in the photo was $55.

IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0997.JPG

Figtree3, scoutshouse, Cher and 13 others like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Now, that's a productive road trip! Well done, Nate!

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I agree with SBSVC, well done Mr Nate:)

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nate's been hunting again!

6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

So I scrapped a few, cleaned the compact mirror and pie server, but the compote is going to take a lot of work to finish. For anyone that has dealt with poorly maintained sterling silver, there are a bunch of hard tarnish deposit lumps that are taking some serious scrubbing to get rid of. I'm happy with the progress so far, but I'm also warn out from the compote:

IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1001.JPG IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1006.JPG IMG_1007.JPG IMG_1008.JPG

Figtree3, Iouri, scoutshouse and 5 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice elbow grease , mr N8 !!

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Very Nice things Nate, and looking real good after some polishing ... Well Done !!! ... Joy. :)

scoutshouse, MrNate and judy like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just remember how easy it will to polish after you do all the hard work! Polishing silver is so relaxing to me.
    greg

10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I agree, and normally it’s very relaxing for me too. I’ll be glad when this one is finished because some of the tiniest black marks are taking their sweet time to disappear. ;)

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Once again a great day shopping Mr. Nate!

12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

The top is finally done, I still have a lot of work to do to bring back the beauty to the bottom and underside:

IMG_1011.JPG

13. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Alright folks, this was easily the longest project to bring a sterling item from tarnished heap of ugliness to a beautiful piece of art. Now that it's over (and it took forever) I definitely enjoy looking at the small details and the beauty of the piece. I'm a perfectionist, and I still see pockets of tarnish I wish weren't there, but at some point in time I have to call it good enough. I hope you enjoyed the post:

IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1013.JPG IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1018.JPG IMG_1019.JPG IMG_1021.JPG

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Nate, you did a wonderful job! Besides lots of elbow grease, what did you use?

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you SBSVC, I started with silver polish to get the easy tarnish knocked off. Most of the time I was using q-tips dipped in polish to work tarnish spots and all the edges, cracks and crevices. Once I got those taken care of I went over it again with more silver polish. My guess is I spent about 5 hours on this one.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Now, THAT is dedication! It does look lovely.

kyratango, MrNate and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the gods of silver thank you !!! :happy: , 4 bringing it back to life !

19. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

Love the portable mirror design. Quite intriguing.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and MrNate like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@MrNate , Thanks for this post! I missed it earlier. Five hours spent polishing one item? Wow! But it was worthwhile.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and MrNate like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted