Featured Hermes Tortoise shell and ivory Cameo

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hi again,
    Now the children are off for holidays, I don’t have to worry about the school runs, and have a little time to share the latest delights I’ve purchased.
    Moving on to the next saucy cameo of Hermes.
    I have been told that it’s tortoise shell and ivory on 925 Sterling silver frame not hallmarked.
    I wonder what are your thought, as I did not stick a hot pin in this one @Any Jewelry
    It looks to me as tortoise shell, has few scratches on the back and I think it has a stress line. The carving is fixed into place with two screws, so it looks like.
    In UV light the tortoise shell shines patchy green on the back, please see photos. The ivory shines white yellowish .
    What do you think about the age, material and we will wait for @Bronwen to delight us with the depiction of the character.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    Please tag anyone Intrested, keep forgetting the IDs
    @KSW
    @Ownedbybear
    @moreotherstuff
    944F45C8-0DB7-4A8C-BF68-7EAC4C6B68D8.jpeg 0345A552-5D51-49FE-89B3-F3194739E32C.jpeg 82E00CDF-C05C-47DA-B06C-8568AF0E6AC0.jpeg 96BFCF94-F55B-4870-9D9F-CB19E0E1CF46.jpeg 2D951FAE-75FB-450A-8DA0-01B7DEEEBFD2.jpeg 1162AFF3-AEED-45CC-A852-FAC0AD589B82.jpeg

Figtree3, Fid, bercrystal and 6 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice Simona, unusual too. I love the combination of materials. The strong linear shapes of the carving remind me of Art Deco, but I will leave dating to Bronwen.
    My heart thanks you for saving it from an attack.:joyful::happy:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    Pat Dennis, bercrystal, dude and 5 others like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi Simona, where did you find this cameo please? :)

The carving shape reminds me of Art Deco too, AJ.

4. Simona Buhus

I have purchased it from a private seller. I tell him what I am looking for and he finds things for me. He had a shop in Portobello road, London, he told me.

Aquitaine, dude, Boland and 4 others like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Me three! I love this one :)

Pat Dennis, dude, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Does appear to be ivory on tortoiseshell. I would date to late 19th - early 20th. The figure is actually Perseus, after the sculpture by Canova, a fairly popular subject.

Perseus Canova sculpture head.jpg

See: CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

An unusual piece. Suspect many cameos using tortoiseshell have not survived due to fragile nature of material.

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

nice! :)

Pat Dennis, Bronwen and Boland like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet!

dude, Bronwen and Boland like this.
  9. Simona Buhus

Figtree3, dude and Bronwen like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That back looks right for late 19th into early 20th.

dude and Bronwen like this.
  11. evelyb30

They must only have had those cases available. That seriously deco image in the frilly, prissy case looks a little odd but oh well. It kept the tortoiseshell intact.

12. Bronwen

The synopsis does not mention that the winged horse Pegasus, plus another beast called Chrysaor, sprang from the neck of the decapitated Gorgon. Athena not only gets the head, she is also the first to tame Pegasus, so you often see him on her helmet.

I was told by one of the Met's staff that they have a spare head of Medusa just in case the one there now falls down.

13. Bronwen

A Deco sensibility? Or the lack of the skill/effort to do the more subtle curves?

Reverchon Perseus 3A.jpg

My dating of the cameo is based on the findings & the materials used, not on anything stylistic, which I considered unreliable.

14. evelyb30

I think the OP's is legitimate 1920s Deco.

15. Bronwen

Could be, no way to know for certain. Carver may also have been influenced in his strokes by the natural grain of the material.

Think we can agree this one is Deco:

tortoiseshell A front.jpg

It has an interesting back. Elizabeth did not ascend the throne until 1952, so doubt ER is for Elizabeth Regina.

tortoiseshell A back.jpg

dude likes this.
  16. evelyb30

Probably the original owner's initials. It might even be her face.

17. Bronwen

She's not wearing a necklace, is she? Those beads are hanging from her ears, looks like.

Hi2022 likes this.
  18. evelyb30

It's supposed to be some sort of headress thingie.

19. Bronwen

@Simona Buhus You have written elsewhere that you have begun buying jewellery as an investment. I would not advise putting too much money in buying similar pieces if you come across them, unless the carving is outstanding. It is increasingly difficult to sell legally both ivory & tortoiseshell, doubt the regulations will be any looser by the time you are thinking of selling. The unlikely possibility I am hoping for is that they will begin to allow age to be recognized without written provenance. Think in the US it is not legal to sell tortoiseshell at all, even if you have provenance going back to Adam.

20. evelyb30

The antique tortoise market has gone back room, cash only.(LOL) Not a good investment vehicle for sure.

Aquitaine, Bronwen and Pat Dennis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted