Heroic Statues in Bronze of Abraham Lincoln

Discussion in 'Books' started by THEEZOG, Feb 19, 2020.

1. THEEZOG

THEEZOG New Member

Question I have is I am looking to sell this book and it is signed. The only other copies I have found have been listed for $95 not signed. What would a copy of this with a signature hold in value? HERO.png HERO3.png HERO4.png HERO5.png

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I have been looking, but only Amazon purports to have a "new" copy for $852.
    I would bet it would fetch significantly more, but the truth is still out there.:shame:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and THEEZOG like this.
  4. THEEZOG

THEEZOG New Member

:wideyed:

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

So the first question we must ask in considering a signature is "who cares?" Is Franklin B. Mead anyone anybody cares about? No Wikipedia entry, a quick Googling indicates no obvious accomplishments (though his son appears to have done some interesting technical work). He seems to have been somebody this insurance company hired to write about their nice new sculpture, or perhaps he was on the committee that commissioned it. Here is another unsigned copy:

https://bookfever.com/book/77767/Mead-Franklin-B-HEROIC-STATUES-IN-BRONZE-OF-ABRAHAM-LINCOLN-Introducing-The-Hoosier-Youth-of-first-edition/

offered by a reputable dealer. They note the limitation, but say theirs isn't signed, which indicates that either not all the edition were signed, or the edition is larger (i.e., the book is more common) that we assume. There are other, cheaper, unsigned copies on Abebooks. The copy in Galena with the photo is also offered by a reputable dealer, but they are, in my experience, a bit on the high side of pricing; but they are experienced dealers of manuscript & unique material, so I'd bow to their judgement on the value of such a photo, and theirs does seem to be in exceptional condition. The Amazon copy at $852 is NUTS, probably an artifact of automated repricing, or some scam I don't understand the workings of. A look at their other offerings (religious notebooks, mealworm treats for lizards) does not inspire confidence in their bibliographic prowess.

In this case, a copy signed by the ARTIST, the sculptor, would be of some value, but I think the signature, while nice to have present, isn't going to add much value - though it may make the book more saleable.

Draft saved Draft deleted