Hey all! I’ve got a cool antique parlour set....I think!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Blonde Mutt, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Blonde Mutt

Blonde Mutt Designer of all weird things

Hi! I am a Green Designer, repurposer, maker of everything. Don’t know much about furniture, but I love it. I’ve taken upholstery classes (not great at this) lol! I just want to learn some more!
    I found these two pieces and am having no luck on the Google.....someone please help! Tell me all about them!
    No mark that I could find. Front and back legs are different styles. One back leg on settee is twisted slightly at bottom. Brackets on both of back legs of settee. 6E4A2141-953F-4B21-A18A-6E85CEA3F99A.jpeg 2AED6F2A-435B-415C-A72C-B68EF8295C70.jpeg 9EE30319-EF35-4794-8B04-E81B3C561339.jpeg 1E226EDA-5800-47E2-A352-D5B18E2177FF.jpeg B4EF135C-71A7-485A-BE0B-8B53308C009B.jpeg 0A11B718-3EFC-4F7B-B2FE-C897629DA02D.jpeg A9285C8E-AC93-4BE9-A544-D322341F5DE0.jpeg B218501C-F0A5-4966-AFEA-9B131F894334.jpeg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very nice late 1800s. Looks like American Oak.

As a repurposer, I hope you are planning to just re upholster and not paint these. As that would be a shame.

The one leg appears to have been broken and repaired. Not sure I would try to do anything to it, unless it isn't sturdy. It's on the backside and for the most part won't be noticeable.

3. Blonde Mutt

Thanks!
    Definitely NOT going to paint! And I’m not that good of a reupholster. Both the back legs on the settee have the weird “fix” at the bottom but only one is twisted. What about the brackets? (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/i-got-something.28648/)

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice old set; that upholstery has "fix me" written all over it, although it's probably original. In this case, it can be dispensed with, since I doubt this set is some sort of valuable rare designer antique. It's just old wood at this point. Nice old wood, but old wood.

Christmasjoy and Blonde Mutt like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

If both of the back legs are like that and are cut flush at the same length, it's almost as if it was done on purpose to make it fit a particular uneven floor.

I don't know what to say about the brackets
    It is going to be expensive to have someone else do the upholstery.
    Maybe keep practicing on smaller pieces. Then tackle the chair before doing the couch.

@verybrad

6. clutteredcloset49

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  7. Blonde Mutt

That’s kinda what I was thinking. Do you think I could get any money out of it as is? Too much work for me to do!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Blonde Mutt

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

In the condition they are in - afraid not much.

Unfortunately, this style of furniture is not selling.
    As it is, even if you put money into fixing, you'd loose. It would cost more to fix than you would be able to sell for.

Did they cost you anything?
    You say you found them.

If you have no money involved, then maybe the chair becomes one of your early projects. If it turns out well, then do the sofa.

10. Blonde Mutt

I have a little money in them, but I guess, thankfully not much. I really love the set, I’m just REALLY intimidated to try and do it myself! However, since it looks like it’s not really worth selling, maybe I’ll give it a go. I do have the fabric lol!
    We recently had a baby, so I was also hoping to free up some space and make a little money too.....

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

Congrats on the new addition.

I say go ahead and try the upholstery. It may not come out perfect, but you will have learned. Plus it's not permanent. You can always come back and do it again at a later date. Just make it usable for now.

12. clutteredcloset49

I was looking again at the pictures. Tufting is the hardest. The backs look to be in good condition. Maybe just retie the seats and use a complimentary material for the seats. Won't be as much work, and you could use them sooner.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, BM.
    I'm glad you are not going to paint it.:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And once done, put them in the baby's room?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

greetings

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Blonde Mutt !!! ... Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted