Featured Hey.. Look Gang...an Old Mirror.....I think....??

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by komokwa, Apr 11, 2018.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I bought this at an antique show 35 years ago to fit into my then early 1900's home.

It fit rather well too !

it's heavy...that's a thick mirror....
    it's 13 1/2 x 52 inches...
    I see no dots on the image.....so hand colored print or book plate ???

All comments welcomed...

IMG_3771.JPG IMG_3773.JPG IMG_3776.JPG IMG_3777.JPG IMG_3786.JPG IMG_3782.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have a mirror like this, with a print on top. Mine has a later print that I'm pretty sure is a lithograph. It's an image of a famous 19th-century actress.

You've done research on the image, haven't you? Seems to be held in several big museums. Of course, yours may be a later copy.

http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/30218

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...artId=1&people=131797&peoA=131797-3-18&page=1

https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.2972.html

And at first I thought the name "Sigmund Freudenberger" was a joke, but no... he was a real person! https://www.nga.gov/collection/artist-info.4135.html

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like the wood grain is printed on. Can you confirm?

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I find that neat image interesting!! The gent in the chair is either not very tall/large, or, out of perspective, being somewhat in front of the ladies!!! (Same with the original in the link as well!):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. komokwa

Umm.....:sorry::sorry::sorry:...no, I've never lifted a finger to know anything about this item.
    Once my ex-wife forced me out of my house, most of the items that I bought for it became like a time capsule, of a life I once had.

This is the 1st time I've even wondered about it !

Thank you !!

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. komokwa

I'll dig deeper....the grain always confused me....

IMG_3779.JPG

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Grain painted to resemble rosewood?

8. komokwa

like nothing I've ever seen before.
    Yes, I think it's painted.....but I can't say how...
    I do see... with a spy glass....the face has fiberous crackling ..like a very old oil painted canvas......but it doesn't affect the paint......
    like it has an over coat...of.....lacquer ...or ?

9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Probably shellac or varnish

10. komokwa

so, the darn thing doesn't seem to be new......is it an early repro..?

11. verybrad

Graining was done with ink rollers and, in this case, meant to resemble mahogany. The wood is then stained and lacquered. Base wood is often poplar. This was common in the early 20th century and I think your mirror probably dates to then.

judy and komokwa like this.
  12. Figtree3

Question: Would this have been manufactured with the print inserted, or would somebody have done this later? Did they sell mirrors with open slots at the top that could have art put into them, like a frame?

13. verybrad

That, I don't know. I suppose it was possible to choose your print at a framing shop. It is possible that the print was changed at some point.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From the photo of the back, looks as though the print was put in just as it would have been if this had been a picture frame only. Whether an owner ever swapped out original for another...? But can see manufacturer could have offered these with prints suitable for various placements in the home.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Could be... One reason I wondered is that the frame style and the print style seem discordant with each other (to me, anyway).

16. komokwa

When I bought it the back was papered over...but with several tears....over time most of the paper came off. I have no reason to believe the print is not original to the mirror.

blooey and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see no reason it can't be both discordant & original. As an item of home decor rather than fine art, can see maker choosing things that were inexpensive to buy in quantity & appealing to those looking for home furnishings.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted