Hi all, could someone please identify what this huge decorative cabinet is?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lukeyboi8001, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Lukeyboi8001

Lukeyboi8001 New Member

IMG-20200606-WA0002.jpg IMG-20200606-WA0005.jpg IMG-20200606-WA0004.jpg IMG-20200606-WA0003.jpg
    The dimensions are:

Height: 2.2m (7ft)
    Length: 3.15m (10.4ft)
    Depth: 0.44m (1.5ft)

I am looking to find out how much this is worth as i am going to sell it because was left behind by a previous tenant.

Thanks for your time in advance

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board.

Value is going to be determined by where you are and how you intend to sell it.
    It may be a hard sell. Here in the states (I'm assuming you are elsewhere), many new homes can't accommodate this large a piece of furniture.

That said. It appears to be a 1970s or later dining room china cupboard.
    A picture of the side of the drawer and how it's assembled might help.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like a fairly contemporary buffet/sideboard/hutch whatever you'd like to call it. Not an antique.

The reason the tenant left it behind is because it's huge, and because, due in large part to the taste of millennials, large pieces of furniture are not fashionable and the values are correspondingly lower.

I don't know exactly where you are, but since you used meters as your first unit of measurement will assume you're in the U.K. or Europe. In my part of the U.S. Midwest I'd market it on Craigslist (or your equivalent) at $200-$300, then come down if I didn't get any interest. You MAY end up giving it away, unfortunately. I assume that at least a part of the issue here is to get rid of it in preparation for the next tenant.

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It looks newer than older, I think it is a cross between a buffet or side board, and an entertainment center. Please check inside of the drawers or on the back (backside of drawers maybe) to see who the maker is.

Sniped by Cluttered, yes I was going to ask for a picture of the interior drawer construction too! Thanks, Cluttered

5. clutteredcloset49

Just noticed this area.
    Is it a bar? Picture inside would help when you sell.
    upload_2020-6-15_8-32-7.png

Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  6. Lukeyboi8001

Lukeyboi8001 New Member

Thank you all for your quick replies! Yes im from uk. England.

Yes that part flips down kinda like a bar.

I will get more picture's now.

7. clutteredcloset49

When you go to post on your equivalent of Craig's list, post a picture of the nicely matched veneer.
    upload_2020-6-15_9-18-31.png
    upload_2020-6-15_9-18-55.png

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My goodness but could I fill that giant thing up with lots of pretty china (wich like the huge furniture no one wants anymore !)

9. Lukeyboi8001

Lukeyboi8001 New Member

These are images of inside the draw inserts and also the outside of the draws IMG-20200615-WA0001.jpg IMG-20200615-WA0002.jpg IMG-20200615-WA0003.jpg IMG-20200615-WA0004.jpg IMG-20200615-WA0005.jpg IMG-20200615-WA0006.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

MDF Chipboard wall unit.
    Cost a fortune when new in the 70's

No one wants them now, I get them in house clearances and can't give them away, charities don't want them because they are as heavy as hell.

I had a similar one today in a clearance.
    I can't show you pics as its in bits in a skip.

Drew, Houseful, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I might leave it where it is and tell the next tenant it's free with the place. Is that pull down a bar or a desk? If that latter, this could be billed as a home office.(LOL)

12. Lukeyboi8001

Lukeyboi8001 New Member

We bought a house and the previous owners left it. Its now in my garage waiting to be either sold , given away or binned. Just wondered i was binning a piece of history.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NICE looking, but HUMONGOUS!!!!!!!!!! Since you've been able to move it, safe to assume the house wasn't built around it!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin:

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Often called a modular wall unit. Modern so no value as an antique. Sell it for whatever you can get for it. Stress that it does come apart for moving.

antidiem and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect that wasn't originally sold as domestic furniture. For here, UK, it'd be ruddy huge.

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Someone offered me one free a short while ago and I declined. Very few people want something that a) isn't solid wood; and b) is so big it takes up the whole room

antidiem and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Here we often call it particleboard. I learned a synonym! And I like it better!

18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks very new from the chipboard / particle board appearance, I think newer than 1970s, but not worth a lot, all the same.

19. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Well I'm going out on a limb here but . . . are you and the item you are showing us in a town/city with a college or university?

I take it that it is NOT attached (bolted?) to the wall in back of it.

Now back to my first question re a college or university being nearby -- trust me when I say that someone who has multiple books and really loves their books (a professor with lots of books or a "grad" student with a love of books) would probably jump at the chance to purchase it from you. ;)

20. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

In a former life(early 1990's) I worked for Allied as a mover/driver - we did a lot of military moves - a lot of American families who had been stationed in Germany brought these type of huge modular units home with them - they called them "Shrank" - pronounced "shrunk". We hated them.

PortableTreasures and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted