Featured Hi all, first post. Today I bought this basket in UK, no info from seller. Any clues for me please?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Inglesina, May 19, 2019.

1. Inglesina

Inglesina New Member

It looks very dull at the moment because I bought it in the middle of a rainstorm and it is still damp; it seems to have some age to me but I know nothing about this type of basket. I am certain it is not English or even European however, it has a hand-stitched lining of cotton fabric and measures 9" approx diam x 9" height.
    Weighs 1 pound 14oz atm but might lose a little due to being a bit damp still.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

bundle coil....african....recent.......

3. Inglesina

Inglesina New Member

I'm not new to old things, this wasn't made last Friday. Definitely has some age to it.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I don't believe Komokwa meant that recent.

Just that it doesn't have much age......as opposed to an antique that is 100 years old.

5. komokwa

it is antiquers dot com...isn't it ?
    @Taupou .....will be more specific .......:sour:

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Unusual fabric, must have been added, I guess.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome. While the age isn't apparent from your photos, use African as a starting point as this is typical in style. I have an African basket with the same rolled elements (although smaller) that is 30 years old.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  8. Inglesina

Inglesina New Member

Fair. I've worked with a lot of historic textiles, the lining is correct for something prewar at least.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Pre Desert Storm ? is that the war you're referring to? That fabric is 1980s at the very least.

BoudiccaJones, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree, it's African, a traditional style from Ethiopia. They are illustrated in Bryan Sentance's "Art of the Basket, Traditional Basketry from Around the World," if you want a reference to check.

While there is definite fading, that's not always a definite sign of age, it depends more on how and where it was stored or displayed. I'd say late 20th century, meaning could have been made twenty-some years ago, but probably not much older than that.

I wouldn't think the fabric is important in either identification or dating. Old fabric could have been used on a new basket. And the fabric could have come from someplace other than where the basket was made.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In Africa, fabrics are traded from country to country just like anything else. They also import it from other parts of the world and reuse clothing and the like. It wouldn't surprise me to find 60s or 70s fabric lining a 90s basket.

12. komokwa

"but I know nothing about this type of basket."

then why are you defending it over our knowledge of it ?

all_fakes, BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted