Hi all! Tell me about your start!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Pepperup, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Pepperup

Pepperup Sarah

Hi all! I'm a curious antique/vintage collector, currently all about in china, serving pieces, barware, etc. I'm maybe one of the younger ones here and I'm so excited to learn from everyone else's experience and knowledge!

So I'd love to hear ā€” how did you get started collecting antiques? What do you collect? How did you learn more about what you collect? :happy: Glad to meet you!

Lucille.b, NewEngland, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Sarah! :)
    Iā€™m newish to collecting, I started basically after I joined here. The knowledge I got here gave me the confidence to dip my toe in. What a nice conversation starter!

3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    I've always loved antiques, but I started taking a more serious look at them when I was studying in Germany, where there are a ton of flea markets. My favorite pasttime was to browse up and down the rows of sellers, rummaging in search of the perfect treasure and practicing my German by haggling with them. Unfortunately, now that I'm back in the US, it's a lot hard for me to find antiques...

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Both sets of grandparents were collectors and always had lots of interesting items in their homes for me to admire growing up. I started collecting coins at age 6 with a handful of Wheat Cents and never looked back. Always have had a passion for history and older items. Started going to estate auctions with my family during my high school years and have been an antique and collectable fanatic ever since. Can't seem to focus on any particular niche.

i need help, NewEngland, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't collect antiques , & I'm not sure that this Intro Forum is the right place to tell you, all about ourselves.

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Sarah.
    I think komokwa is right, but here is my 'story' anyway, short and sweet: I grew up with art and antiques, and inherited a bling gene.:facepalm: I collect collections.:playful:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome Sarah. Lovely question. I come from a long lineage of appreciators of beautiful old things, and when I acquired my first house, I started creating my own world of treasures.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Sarah! I've been fascinated by "old things" since growing up near a set of great grandparents and making summer visits to a great aunt who all had the most "exotic" furniture, art work and rugs in their homes. Now I own some of those things and have collected others of my own!

9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Like others, came from families of long time collectors and started going with them when I was 5 and given a dollar to spend.
    Passed it on to our son who follows on-line auctions and makes the annual trip to NYC for Americana Week. The daughter thinks Ikea is wonderful. Where did I go wrong with her?

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Pepperup!

Welcome to Antiquers.............:cat:

My family had no interest in anything old. With a sister and two brothers, I am the only one who still loves the old.

I had a friend who got me started. I saw her find things at yard sales, then turn them over for a profit at flea market setups. I decided I had to try it out myself.

Like Kiko I was able to furnish my own home with wonderful treasures at bargain prices. Items I still have and still love.

I started collecting dolls, because I made quite a bit of money on one German bisque doll, and decided that I must collect....why after all, they will be worth so much more and my kids will reap the rewards of increased values. WRONG! I have a closet full.....not all bisque, as I like compo too. I collected later plastic/vinyl dolls and put away for my daughter with the same thought as above......she can sell for $$'s more than I paid. She could give a hoot, and I doubt any of those dolls would/will bring any more than a few dollars each.

Still, I have loved and still do love the
    hunt/purchases. I have a friend who is not in the business, but loves to accompany me. We have a great time together, and I can't wait for things to open back up so we can hunt again.

I frequent thrifts and yard sales.

A friend, Kraftblue, introduced me to this Board. I love it.

11. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I was a born collector. Example: Trick-or-Treating for Halloween candy (age 10) once home, I categorized the candy and SAVED it, not eating it. These were the 1960s suburban Chicago-- and Halloween candy collecting was celebrated TWO days, the 30th and 31st. I used to get several garbage bags of candy. (I think my mom threw it out after 6 months.)

At age 15 began my interest in garage sales. It was popular at my circle at high school to show up in vintage clothing, so we were always scouring garage sales for 40's dresses, old costume jewelry. This trend had taken off massively in neighboring Chicago, but in my suburb not so much, so things did turn up at sales. (We interrupt this description...if only I knew THEN what I know NOW about older jewelry!)

The love of garage sales eventually became a full blown obsession.

At first it was just stuff for myself, as a struggling university student getting a toaster or a winter (or vintage) jacket for a $1 was a windfall. At some point a vintage clothing/jewelry store opened, mid 1980s, and I started picking up items to consign and make a bit of money and learned what to look for.

A decade later I met a friend who taught me the ropes. She both sold on Ebay (opening year) and had a booth at an antique mall. She really took me under her wing which was pretty generous because in a way I would be her competition in town of course. It was kind.

I think the final education came out of the antique boards, originally on Ebay, then here. Just being able to ask questions, not only for my own stuff, but what others posted too. Also Ebay helped immensely on the research end, and eventually the selling end. I was never going to be someone to open a store, but to be able sell from my living room was the ticket.

I think it also helps that I seem to have sort of a keen memory for anything "garage sale". I'd fail a 5th grade history exam, but I can tell you what garage sale I got a rhinestone brooch at in 1988.

So several decades in the making.

Draft saved Draft deleted