Hi, Can anyone help me Identify these rowlocks please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Castellrob, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Castellrob

Castellrob New Member

Hi,

I recently bought this pair of copper rowlocks in a car boot and would like to know more information about them if anyone recognises them?

They are the initials AF on them, anyone know what AF stands for?

Appreciate any help and advice.

Regards
    Robert

upload_2019-9-17_14-30-41.png

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hi Castellrob & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy::happy:

I can't help you with these, but I also can't stop myself from posting this little inside joke, so please forgive me. :kiss::playful::playful: :bag::bag:

@afantiques - Did the 2 blokes in your shed make these things? ;):p:D:D:D

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Rowlocks or Oarlocks are usually made from Brass or Bronze to prevent corrosion from salt water.

Houseful and Michael77 like this.
  4. Castellrob

Castellrob New Member

;) lol well they certainly aren't symmetrical.

5. Castellrob

Castellrob New Member

Hi Dave, thanks for the info. They were sold to me under the pretences that they were rare and unusual due to the fact they are solid copper and the gentleman went on to explain they are as you said usually Brass or Bronze. You wouldn't happen to know a way I could test to make sure what material it actually is would you?

Ta

6. Castellrob

Castellrob New Member

Here's a close up n the 'AF' too, anyone know what it refers to?

upload_2019-9-17_17-0-18.png

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I'd have thought pure copper would be too soft, imagine oars slamming into them back and forth, they would not stay that shape for long.

If they are solid copper maybe they were made to be decorative.

aaroncab, Houseful and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They are obviously bronze, a good quality pair, since galvanised steel is the cheapest alternative. Note the little holes in the ends for a thong to ensure they do not accidentally come out of their sockets. Typically, the slightly higher side faces the bow. I'd say they have utility value only, but anyone with a rowing boat would appreciate them.

9. Castellrob

Castellrob New Member

Well bit gutted the feedback is they are Bronze, oh well live and learn. Is there anybody who could advise me on how to find out what the 'AF' stands for? Would help a great deal in selling them properly.

Regards
    Rob

10. bercrystal

Possibly the foundry mark where they were made.

aaroncab likes this.
  11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

No one will care who made them.
    Find a ships chandlers website and check out the price of a new pair. You might get half of that.

aaroncab likes this.
  12. bercrystal

AF's comment above is at the heart of my first reply. ;):happy::happy:

He has a lengendary shed that was immortalized in a previous thread here on the forum .

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/hoarder-or-storer.1284/

However it was his frequent answer to posters who were trying to ID who made something that was likely never to happen & in the end would likely not make difference.

When the question was "who made this item", his reply would be "2 blokes in a shed". :p:p:D:D:D

Also don't beat yourself up too much for buying something you thought was one thing, just to find out it was something else. There isn't a member of this forum who hasn't done it at least once & most likely more than once. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::bag::bag:

These are the learning moments & your goal is to not repeat this particular one again.

Sometimes the ultimate goal is if you can't at least break even to get as close as you possibly can & hope the next one is better.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well said !:)

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted