Featured Hi, David here. Mission style desk?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by David Treasure, Jun 9, 2020.

1. David Treasure

David Treasure New Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this desk.

Attached Files:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What do you want to know?
    Mission style is correct.

I see bits of paint spattered on it. How bad is the top?
    If it's just spattered like the legs, it might not be too bad to clean up.

If you don't want to do a full stripping and refinishing you could try Howard's Restor-A-Finish. They make a light oak. Because of the paint, I would apply it with a 4 ought steel wool. The steel wool will help to take the paint splatter off.

Wait for others to comment. They may have other suggestions.
    Welcome to the board.

3. clutteredcloset49

@daveydempsey would you be so kind as to move this to the Furniture forum where the others will see it. Thanks.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Have you looked all over it for any marks or labels?

I have a Stickley library table with a small faded label inside the drawer for example. I'm not saying Stickley just wondering if you've found any labels on the piece.

It looks well made.

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

That's excellent advice, Cluttered. :joyful:

6. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

Reminds me furniture I've seen in a church with those crosses on the side. Communion table?
    I'd like to see a pic with the drawer open.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Michael77 and i need help like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks to be of good design/quality. Top appears to be veneer? There were hundreds of makers of these so hard to pin to a particular maker without a label or matching catalog page.

Michael77, pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  8. David Treasure

Yes
    How do I do that?
    My first forum : )

9. clutteredcloset49

You can't. Davey is our moderator. He has already done that for you. (Thanks Davey).

Look at the top under the title you can see what forum it is posted in

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. David Treasure

Thank you both

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  11. David Treasure

I found the desk in the art studio of Fred Sexton, one of the black dahlia suspects. It had original contents in the drawer that were related to the Hodel family as identified by black dahlia author Steve Hodel. The desk is not in good shape but the panels with the crosses are slightly leaning in at the top. It has no identifying marks. I do have pictures of the studio, now torn down.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a monastery/ library table where the monks would study. I would think with some care and elbow grease it would clean up very nice. Nice find!

13. David Treasure

Thank you everyone.
    Does anyone have an idea of how to move it forward?
    I really don't want to capitalize on the black dahlia but I couldn't let it go to the dump either.
    I don't want $$ I just want it to find a good home

14. clutteredcloset49

In the condition it is in, just as a piece of furniture with no connections. About $60.
    Cleaned up, maybe $125. Take the time to do a really nice refinish $200.
    Those are Northern CA store prices.

Depending on where you are and how you intend to sell and whether you put any effort into restoring will determine your value.

As for the attribution to Black Dahlia, you will have to have more than just say so. You need documentation.
    I don't know how to tell you to proceed with that.

15. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

attribution to Black Dahlia suspect, that's pretty creepy in it's own right , sort of like the huge meat cleaver my friend found buried near the levy ( but not where the levy was built post 1955) in Santa Cruz when we were kids. It has sat on my Mom's fire place hearth where my dad uses it for kindling.... I think I am glad it cannot talk....

Elizibeth Short is buried in Oakland , far away from L.A. ........RIP

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Find a dealer who specializes in Mission furniture and offer it at a very good price for him/her. They will make sure it gets restored and placed where someone will appreciate it. Offering it to the general public could very well result in it being painted and later sent to the dump when the fashion for painted furniture passes. This is too nice of a piece to meet that fate. Wish I was close, as I would certainly be up for the task.

Might add that this is really a library table. A desk would not have a centered lower shelf.

clutteredcloset49 and Bakersgma like this.
  17. David Treasure

Thank you for the story of the cleaver, very visual.

18. David Treasure

That is an interesting idea. Thank you for your input.

19. David Treasure

Yes you are correct. I only have the stories from the old man who lived in the house.
    Thank you for the pricing.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted