HI Everyone! I Need Help With a Makers Mark

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Apr 1, 2020.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

I hope you all and your families are safe and healthy. Hard times we are going through and I am sending you love and prayers.

I purchase this sterling silver and diamond pendant and the Markings are SAG 925 F. Anyone have any idea whose mark it is? Thank you in advance for all your help and stay safe.
    keys 122.jpg
    keys 1222.jpg keys 12.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Where are the diamonds hiding???:happy::happy:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. ezeepass

they are in the front of the pendant. 6 very small ones lol

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think "S" is for the maker.
    AG for silver
    925 for parts of 1000
    "F" for fineness

Now we need to know what country uses that kind if marking. It's not the US or Mexico. And I could be wrong.
    @Bakersgma

Msalicia likes this.
  5. ezeepass

Could it be south africa

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I would doubt it. I've attached an article on precious metals marking in SA and see no connection between what's on the bale of this item and what's in the article.

http://www.silvercollection.it/ASCASVANSTADENSOUTHAFRICA.html

Unfortunately I also see no way to connect this marking group with any other country either. Yes, the S looks different from the other letters and "might" be a maker's symbol, yes AG is often a short form of "argento" (the Italian word for silver) but I have never seen it used in this way as as assay mark. Yes, we all recognize 925 as the decimal equivalent of sterling, but I have never seen it with a F for fineness (since that word is in English and this marking group is not from England, the USA or Canada.) In those cases, like the Scandinavian countries, where the decimal is used and is followed by a letter it is followed by an S.

I know of no country that uses a marking system that would match with what is on this item.

8. ezeepass

I went to the link you posted but didn't see anything but I did go to this site and it mention this(
    South African Goldware, (Johannesburg)
    This firm used the letter SAG followed by the imprint of a protea (or similar flower) as maker’s mark. It was active during the 1950s and the 1960s and made the christening mug of Mr Boddy’s son. Items by this firm regularly appears on local antique and collectors’ markets.) this is the link http://sagoldsmiths.blogspot.com/2012/06/goldsmiths-makers-marks-used-in.html

9. ezeepass

I didnt understand it. Maybe if you have some time you can look and see if you get a better understanding. Thank you for your response

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Your item isn't gold, it's silver. How does that relate? I don't understand. There is no "system" of marking silver in South Africa that could help us identify the marks on this piece of jewelry.

komokwa likes this.
  11. ezeepass

Ok thank you for all your help. Stay safe

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

I read through the chart. None of the descriptions listed fit what you are showing.

You have a stylized "S" space with AG I think only the "S" pertains to the maker.

13. clutteredcloset49

I found this for South Korea. They do use AG for silver fineness.
    The problem with this is S. Korea uses .999, not 925.
    More investigation is needed.

From a Pinterest item
    upload_2020-4-1_18-19-35.png

From
    https://www.925-1000.com/Fkorea_01.html
    upload_2020-4-1_18-20-45.png

14. ezeepass

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

Your welcome.
    I'm not all that sure that South Korea is where this was made. I was trying to show that AG is used for the parts per 1000.
    As I said - more investigation is needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted