Featured Hi friends xx I would like some help with these glass turquoise colour beads if I could xx

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BoudiccaJones, Oct 29, 2022.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Hello, my friends xx

Just wondering what terms I can use to look for these glass mostly turquoise colour beads.
    I've done reverse image searches and all the ones that's brought up aren't that similar.

I am sure if I can find the magic word, I'll be able to find out more.
    As it is, I am just floundering.

( There is a two pound coin in one pic, I didn't take it and if you're not English, I don't imagine that'll help much with size.)

They are small, but all various sizes, the biggest is about one CM / half of an inch and the smallest is teeny, really small.
    It's hard to tell in pic,but this is one long necklace, 74 inches/190 cms.
    Not sure if it is a necklace or just strung on string for convenience.

Thank you friends xx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can get more pics if required x
    Thank you all xx

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi Bou.:happy::kiss: Beautiful bead necklace/string, love the combo of colours, shapes and textures.

I am no bead expert, but they look like they could be a mix of glass and faience beads. In which case they could be pretty old (not Egyptian, maybe European?).
    Don't want to get your hopes up though, I could be wrong, so tagging @Ownedbybear and @reader .
    You could also ask the beadman on facebook.:)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    johnnycb09, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Might be way off here, any chance they could be restrung Roman ?

roman-glass-necklace-1.jpg

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look shinier, which is what you see on many early Medieval beads.
    But I don't know much about ancient and early beads, I just like them.:)

johnnycb09, Aquitaine, Lark and 5 others like this.
  5. BoudiccaJones

Thank you so much, my lovely girl. They certainly *feel* old but as we know, I am no expert!

I need to find Beadman!

Thank you as always, off to have a mooch xxx

Aquitaine, komokwa, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  6. BoudiccaJones

Food for thought, Charlie! Thank you xxx

7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Absolutely love this. I can’t help with origin as IMO they’re a contemporary restring of beads of various age some of which could be ancient but in general they’re called Treasure necklaces. I have no clue on value either-just that I think it’s special and if selling I’d fish the waters with a high price and see what kind of offers came my way.

judy, komokwa, BoudiccaJones and 3 others like this.
  8. BoudiccaJones

Thank you, very much, for your lovely reply, Reader xx

( I'm not going to be selling them, I just wanted to learn all I could about them.
    They did feel and *smell* old. But ... I am no expert x) )

Very much appreciate the info re. *treasure* as well, which is very apt! Given me more terms to search as well x

They are quite firmly entrenched in my Hoarditorium, I have a H U G E weakness for turquoise and as you can see, doesn't even have to be made of turquoise, sometimes just the colour is enough!
    Always very grateful for the info I always get here, and given so freely too xxx

Born2it, judy, reader and 2 others like this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Some are too shine for roman beads. I have probably 100 roman beads and not even the glass ones are shiny. Some of the smaller beads possibly are Roman beads.jpg beads2.jpg but they don't look quite that old. The larger turquoise do remind me of beads from Turkey. Sorry about the poor photos with my phone.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

CAn you get some closer shots of some of the individual beads please? Some certainly do look old or even ancient.

judy, reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Try googling turquoise trade beads. Many look similar to yours. Right size as well.

judy, BoudiccaJones, reader and 2 others like this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Many of the purported 'ancient' (Roman & Egyptian) beads I've found online are quite beautiful and seem reasonably priced.How the heck one determines authenticity without a doctorate & electron microscope i wouldn't have a clue.Here's a current listing on Etsy-
    'Faience Mummy Bead Strand-$179.99 In 1979, the Egyptian Museum in Cairo offered lots of 'mummy beads', both long and short, by the kilogram...Our Mummy Bead Strand repurposes three thousand year old turquoise, red, brown, and yellow faience beads sourced from Egypt'..who knows ?

judy, reader, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They're not expensive to buy at all and certainly authentic enough. Used to be a company here with shops, called Ancient Arts. A faience string was under a hundred quid.

judy, BoudiccaJones, reader and 2 others like this.
  14. bosko69

Yep,quite beautiful and reasonably priced for 2-3000 yr old art/craft.

judy, reader and kyratango like this.
  15. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I was with my father when he purchased ours and know the source back in the early 60's. The ones I have were the culls when he had necklaces made for my mother.

BoudiccaJones and reader like this.
  16. bosko69

Fair amount of fake Shabtis,simple ancient beads prob just not worth enough to counterfeit.Although Tibetan Dzi and some other ancient Beads not so cheap.My favorites aesthetically are the older Ojime specimens.

kyratango likes this.
  17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

And I could have bought authentic ancient Tibetan priest Dzi beads in the 70s. They were around $500 from Jacques Carcanagues the legendary NY dealer (long gone), They’re now several hundred thousand.

Any Jewelry and BoudiccaJones like this.
  18. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

Egyptian Faience beads definitely. It's hard to tell if all, or just most from the picture. It used to be very common to find these sold, and they were genuine ancient beads. They were just that plentiful like picking up seashells off the beach. These days most of the ones you see for sale online are entirely or partially fake (there are a few very prolific eBay sellers for instance). I have a strand myself and love them anyway, even not knowing if they are ancient or new. Yours looks like it was not put together recently which is probably a good sign.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  19. BoudiccaJones

Will do, Mrs. B, thank you...tis so dark here atm, hopefully it'll get a bit brighter at some point! xx

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    komokwa likes this.
  20. BoudiccaJones

Thank you xxx

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted