Hi, need help to identify

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Cmac, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Cmac

Cmac New Member

I pulled this curious item up while out fishing and have little idea what it is or it’s possible age and value, some type of lamp maybe, any ideas?
    I cleaned it of lightly as it was covered in growth from the bottom of a river.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

C36239BE-AC64-49EE-8023-C87C1DEB20D6.jpeg 008421DE-34A6-406A-A1D8-0BC60364104C.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Cmac! :)

It is a brass ewer (missing the lid)
    The decoration looks To be from India to me. The spout is a peacock. Others will be along with more detail than I can give.

Nice Catch! :)

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And the handle a lion.:)

i need help likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes, from India mid to late 1900s.

Why does that sound like it was "so long ago" now? ;)

5. Any Jewelry

I know! I often think, oh something is only 1970s. But that is half a century ago.

i need help and antidiem like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

7. andy_india

andy_india Member

or could be from ancient Near east possibly Persian, early 1900's?

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Cuz' "Tempis Fudjit" (sp?):smug::smuggrin::rolleyes:

Any Jewelry, i need help and antidiem like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so. Yours looks much more like the mass-imported servers sold at PierOne type decorator stores in the mid 1970s. Probably got dumped when somebody dropped it and the lid broke off.

Any Jewelry, andy_india, Fid and 2 others like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

IMHO,
    There are similarities among those, Persian, India, Asian. I think the decorations set them apart. But that’s just an uneducated opinion, from visual comparison.

Any Jewelry and andy_india like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

True. For a long time the Persians owned a great part of Asia. And their artistic influence spread to most of the rest of the world, just think of blue and white designs on Chinese porcelain, especially of the Yuan dynasty, and Delfts blue ceramics.

The origin of the style of this ewer lies in the Persian/Mughal culture. It doesn't strike me as Persian or even Afghan. If not Indian made, stylewise it could possibly be Pakistani, also former Mughal territory. But Pakistan was never a mass exporter of simple crafts, whereas India was and still is, on an enormous scale.
    So, since we see so many of these in the West, especially in shops that sell almost exclusively Indian export, the most logical conclusion is India.;)

andy_india and i need help like this.