Hi..new member..Bronze Foundry Makers Mark France,any idea ?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Nick Athanasatos, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Nick Athanasatos

Nick Athanasatos New Member

I hope I can be of some help and find things I don't know.
    Glad to be able to join.
    May I ask would anyone recognize this Foundry/Makers Mark for these French made Candlesticks ?
    The only other marks are old stickers of shipper/Auction House: E.D.E.T Paris AW778
    Thank you French Foundry Mark.jpg French Bronze Candlesticks.jpg French Foundry Mark.jpg French Bronze Candlesticks.jpg

2. Nick Athanasatos

Oh oh..I think Ive posted in the wrong section..and I glimpsed at the bottom just when I clicked remove after 7 days : (
    Id like all my posts to be permanent.
    Im learning

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to Antiquers, Nick!!! I'm sure you will enjoy it here! There are many here of much great knowledge, but we all are continually learning, especially myself!!!! I don't think anyone can know it all about everything!!!! But learning is so much fun!!! Hopefully others will be along to help, especially since some have already been tagged!!! Enjoy it all!!!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Nick.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

greetings.........we all goof sometimes....no worries !

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Nick!

Welcome to Antiquers!

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Nick! Don't worry about the "7 days" thing you clicked - it has to do with the "Poll" option (which you didn't actually use.) All posts to the site are permanent and can only be removed by a moderator.

9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hello. Look to be in the Rococo/Louis XV style, late 1800s. Some form of gilding applied. Maybe searching with that criteria can point you in a direction to a foundry. May be tough.

10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Nick !!! ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
  11. Nick Athanasatos

12. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Welcome Nick,
    Impossible to say who make them, they were a lot of founders who buy models and make ovecasts as those candlesticks, 514 is certainly the model mold number and initials can be those of the worker who assemble them, they were payd by piece and put a mark on their work for that reason(andthey were put just before the electrolitic gilding).
    Tipycally what you buy in mid 20th century by decorators, we call this design "Louis-caisse" which is a joke with Louis XV name.

13. Nick Athanasatos

Hand chasing all over it..no way a low cost Decorators piece.

14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@Nick Athanasatos

I see nothing in the photos which suggest they were chased,it is cast with poor finish.

Lecollectionneur likes this.
  15. Nick Athanasatos

Could I be miss judging it..I usually know quality..I will let you know.
    What do you make of this.
    ODIOT Dressing Table Candlestick.jpg

16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are looking for.... the photo is out of focus and what little can be seen is the cupped portion bottom center appears to have casting porosity.

17. Nick Athanasatos

Ill take better pictures.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Way nicer than the 1st two....

19. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

There is a first and simple sign of quality you can look in a second, when the "gildind" is under the piece same as on the visible part is a sign or what I call decoration item, this in not to say that is junk, but it's a way long with a hand finished piece and a good gilding which is so expensive that you put the protective varnish in all parts non visible.
    It's a lot faster to apply gold and you use a lot less gold too which you can add on the apparent parts. ;-)
    For the aspect of the chasing, I have some pictures, the best example is this one, you can't reproduce that with any actual process, the more near precise is by galvanoplaty at it cost really a lot to make.
    I just finish to clean it yesterday and put the blackening on it, you can see how sharp are the marks of the tool.
    You can see the marks of the chisel and those from the hammer to give the relief to this foliage too.

[​IMG]If you want pictures about gilding I can make them when at home, here I'm in my workshop precisely making pictures for insurance and sales.:arghh:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  20. Nick Athanasatos

*Thank you beautiful detail.I love fine metal work. Love the picture.
    I went to look at the only other Gilt piece(s) I have to see if Gold is underneath and it is underneath as well, but they are not really decorative. (Pictured)
    But maybe in general I should look for it (Gilt underneath)as a hint.
    *The texturing on the surface of the base on these..that is the Chasing yes? Am I mistaking the texturing all over the French Bronze Candlesticks as Chasing ?
    CJ Vander Rococo #1.jpg CJ Vander Rococo #7.jpg

Attached Files:

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted