Featured hi new member here looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ryan1000uk, Aug 29, 2017.

1. ryan1000uk

ryan1000uk New Member

21209190_10208307044508346_2011715019_n.jpg 21175617_10208307044468345_653026328_n.jpg 21209190_10208307044508346_2011715019_n.jpg hi i have been emptying my late grandfathers house and came across this dresser can anybody tel me if its worth anything.many thanks

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes, it's worth something....but it sure looks low in your photo.....

3. ryan1000uk

ryan1000uk New Member

thanks for replying yeah its a low item all 4 feet are on it

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's very nice....but I'll wait for the furniture guru's to weigh in !

PS...in the meantime u might want add all u know about the piece....
    as u will be asked for more details....:happy:

5. ryan1000uk

ryan1000uk New Member

i was gona put it on the tip at first.but i thought it might be worth something

6. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

I believe it was supposed to go on top of a chest of drawers or vanity. Don't put it in the tip--someone will want it!

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

How high is it with (including) the mirror?

How high is it without (not including) the mirror?

How wide is it?

Two possibilities as I see it: either a child's vanity or possibly to be placed on top of a (low-ish) chest/bureau or low table.

Just a guess/supposition on my part until further dimensions show otherwise. ;)

Because there is no "cut-out" in the middle to allow a chair to be pulled up to it (the mirror), I am thinking the item was meant to be placed on top of a bureau/chest of drawers for a man to check his hair, shirt, tie/bow tie. One of the two boxes could hold his "pomades" for his hair, comb(s), brush(es) and other personal grooming items and the other box could hold his cuff links or shirt studs or "string" ties/bow ties. ;)

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely art deco dressing table. I dont think it was meant to sit on anything,its just a low piece. People were a lot shorter back then ! :)

9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Kentwhirled, I certainly didn't mean to "echo" your above post #6. ;)

10. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Yours was a much fuller explanation! In the latter 19th and early 20th c. there were many "free standing" mirrors that were part of bedroom sets and would stand on a chest or the like so one could finish dressing -- comb hair and all that you described. Now some had a single drawer for accessories, but this one is more elaborate. Does anyone else get a deco vibe? I can see it on a matching vanity table -- if you were sitting, then this would be at the right height. Guessing a bit here, but it seems nice quality.

11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Please go back to edit and use the full image button for all your photos up to 10 per post and always do this.

Thank you. :)

Ghopper1924, Aquitaine and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Dimensions please .. Joy.

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  13. ryan1000uk

ryan1000uk New Member

hi everybody thankyou for replying i will get the dimensions tommorow as i am currently at work.thanks

14. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Don't trash it = nice looking piece, probably Deco or Deco reproduced. Center drawer for cuff links, etc. Side drawers as someone said for collars, gloves...

Am I seeing feet on the bottom?
    Patd

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  15. ryan1000uk

ryan1000uk New Member

yes there is feet at the bottom

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would think English or Continental and 1930s-40s, though some similar were made into the 50s. Occasionally see these low dressers with low mirrors. Not very useful by today's standards and I am not sure exactly how they were intended to be used. As mentioned, you can't exactly pull a chair up to them. Just conjecture, but perhaps meant for small bedrooms. Could see having the ability to sit on the side of a bed and be able to see yourself in that mirror. Not terribly valuable and value is really going to depend on location. Your use of the word tip makes me think you are probably in the UK. Being in the States, I don't have knowledge of that market. What I have gathered from others here is that this kind of thing probably has more value over here than there. Here, I could see this being just shy a couple hundred at retail in a nice shop. 1/3 to 1/2 that at auction or in other wholesale situations.

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1940s dressing table. Very very typical of English ones.

Ghopper1924 and ryan1000uk like this.
  18. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I`m afraid to say I get plenty of these in house clearances.

No one wants them, charity shops will not take them and auction houses refuse them because they remain unsold and not collected by the seller.
    The odd Shabby Chic painter might pay £10 for one but I can`t hang around waiting, I need the space.

I`ve just taken a 3500kg truck load to the recycling tip.

Ghopper1924 and ryan1000uk like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted