Hi to all

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by susie, Oct 1, 2014.

1. susie

susie Member

My name is susie melville and i have been an avid collector and dealer in mainly glass for about a decade.
    I live in Scotland and am very lucky to be in an area where there are many vintage pieces of glass from around the world turning up on a regular basis at my local auctions.
    Over time i have built up a lot of knowledge and where possible i am always happy to id or help with others research.
    Sometimes i'll find things which are not so easy to id which is how i found this marvelous forum.

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Susie,
    Welcome to the best forum on the net. I hope you will be very happy here as are 99% of the rest of us. I have a love of glass as if you could not tell by my name.
    greg

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welcome, Susie! Glad to have you aboard. We are a motley crew with interests ranging in several directions from silver, porcelain, glass, art to furniture, photography, tools, textiles, etc.....

--- Susan

4. susie

susie Member

Hi Greg and Susan.
    , i am immersed in work at the moment - i recently acquired a large collection of art deco and art nouveau glass and am still in the process of cleaning, checking and photographing it all. When i am done i'll add photos to the forum so you can share the OH thats pretty.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Susie! We will look forward to seeing your items!

Fig

6. susie

susie Member

7. susie

susie Member

The first one is Doric and Pansy Jeannette depression glass butter dish and lid in teal- its quite a rarity. Condition is very good but it does have one scratch

the second is Kralik shell glass and its unbelievably mint.

The 3rd is detail of the foot.

enjoy!

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Welcome. Was it the Kralik that brought you here?

9. susie

susie Member

Yes it was the Kralik that brought me here and it allowed me to positively ID it. It is astonishingly modern looking considering it was made in about 1905 or so. I am not that familiar with czech glass of this period so did a lot of hunting around. Then i saw the marvelous collection on here.

10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Welcome! You will find that while there are dealers and collectors of a wide variety of items here, one of the things most of us "collect" are interesting and like minded people - and you appear to be a knowledgeable and interesting addition to "our" menage. Very glad you found us!

11. susie

susie Member

Thanks Mansons2005,
    i can drone on about glass for hours but have to remember that not every one shares my obsession. Its such a large subject i don't think anyone can know it all. My education in glass is the opposite to these who do fine art - find a pile, work out what you have, keep the bits you like, sell the rest. I have been operating like this for a long time. So i often come across stuff i would not have normally gone out and bought. I hope that over time i can amuse and puzzle you all.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Susie,

Post your pictures in the Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain forum listed below, for more visibility. I'm not sure whether everybody looks at this Introductions forum.

13. susie

susie Member

Thanks- i'll do that in a day or so.

14. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

A BIG welcome susie...I love glass and look forward to more pictures :cat:

15. susie

susie Member

hi, Thanks for the welcome,

i'll sort out more pictures and put them in the correct forum- at the moment i have over 50 pieces to sort so it may take me some time.

Kindest regards susie

16. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Add my welcome to the bunch!

17. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

18. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Add another "Me too!" :)

19. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

20. susie

susie Member

Thanks you all, its so heartwarming to be greeted this way by you all, i think i will enjoy chatting with you all. I noted that many of you are ebay refugees. I too used to sell exclusively on ebay but now its occasional as i am not a resource for them to exploit/

Draft saved Draft deleted